How long will snake anti-vennum be on back order for pets?

My sister's dog was bit this morning by an unkown snake culprit. The vet is giving him pain relievers, steriods and antihistamines. A&M is even out of antivennum. Why hasn't the public been made aware of this shortage? Any alternative remedies would…

My sister's dog was bit this morning by an unkown snake culprit. The vet is giving him pain relievers, steriods and antihistamines. A&M is even out of antivennum. Why hasn't the public been made aware of this shortage? Any alternative remedies would…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long will snake anti-vennum be on back order for pets?...

• How long will snake anti-vennum be on back order for pets?

How long will snake anti-vennum be on back order for pets? General Dog Discussions
      My sister's dog was bit this morning by an unkown snake culprit. The vet is giving him pain relievers, steriods and antihistamines. A&M is even out of antivennum. Why hasn't the public been made aware of this shortage? Any alternative remedies would be appreciated.

How long will snake anti-vennum be on back order for pets? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends on what kind of anti-venom you are waiting for. Not all anti-venoms are the same. Where I live I have no need to worry about a shortage unless someones pet venomous snake escapes and bites my dog. There is no need to send an public awareness announcement out I guess. I'm sure the vet is and has been doing all they can until antivenom can be located.

• most dogs do fine with just antihistamines for snake bites. i have delt with my dogs getting bit by copperheads and cotton mouths on several different occasions and they all recovered fine with just fluids and a couple injections of benedryl. until very recently, there was no such thing as antivenom for animals and everything was fine. i wouldn't stress too much, i'm sure your sisters dog will be fine.