Dogs nail spilt down the middle what shall i do?

My dogs nail on one of his front paws split, and the paw bit underneath has scraped and is all red, the nail the te high one,,what shall i do?

My dogs nail on one of his front paws split, and the paw bit underneath has scraped and is all red, the nail the te high one,,what shall i do?...
    General Dog Discussions : Dogs nail spilt down the middle what shall i do?...

• Dogs nail spilt down the middle what shall i do?

Dogs nail spilt down the middle what shall i do? General Dog Discussions
      My dogs nail on one of his front paws split, and the paw bit underneath has scraped and is all red, the nail the te high one,,what shall i do?

Dogs nail spilt down the middle what shall i do? General Dog Discussions
    • That is a very painful situation for your dog. He needs to go to vet.If left untended it probably will get infected and your dog will start to chew on his foot and this could cause permanent damage. The vet may remove toenail or with some pain meds be able to trim it down to where it does not bother dog.

• The vet needs to clip the nail short and cauterize it to stop the bleeding. You should not attempt this at home as it is VERY painful. About as painful as if you stripped you nail down to the quick and pulled it apart. It's best if they're under anesthesia for this because it is so painful but it will provide much relief for your dog and keep it from getting snagged and pulled again.