How do I tell if my dog has blood poisoning?

My dog we think either got shot or he was mauled by a deer. He has a really big gash on the inside of his leg and it is really infected. We have gotten him some antibiotic shots and are about to sew him up. The wound is on the inside of his right back…

My dog we think either got shot or he was mauled by a deer. He has a really big gash on the inside of his leg and it is really infected. We have gotten him some antibiotic shots and are about to sew him up. The wound is on the inside of his right back…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I tell if my dog has blood poisoning?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I tell if my dog has blood poisoning?

How do I tell if my dog has blood poisoning? General Dog Discussions
      My dog we think either got shot or he was mauled by a deer. He has a really big gash on the inside of his leg and it is really infected. We have gotten him some antibiotic shots and are about to sew him up. The wound is on the inside of his right back leg. He also has a hole going in his chest and out underneath his rib cage. If there is any info you can give me please do tell. We are taking him to the vet to get sewn up but I would still like to know if there was anything I could do prior to the vet.

How do I tell if my dog has blood poisoning? General Dog Discussions
    • All your dog needed was the vet immediately before infection set in and before this wound started healing. If it has started healing, its going to mean more pain for him because the vet has to cut off that part before suturing.

• Leave the dog alone and bring him to the vet right away, anything you do now will make it worse. Once infection sets in, it can not be sutured, the vet may have to put a drain in first.

• There is not really anything you can do at home for an injury this severe except stop any bleeding. Even antibiotics are something you should let your vet do. When you get to the vet, make sure to tell him all the antibiotics you used so he doesn't prescribe something that will react with those drugs.Signs of blood poisoning (or sepsis) can vary. Generally the dog is very sick and running a fever, but if he's so sick that he goes into shock he could be cold. Sometimes you can see a spotty rash on his body, but usually you can't diagnose blood poisoning without some blood tests.

• Signs of blood poisoning in dogs are bleeding, increased thirst, seizures, coma, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, lethargy, walking problems, loss of appetite, collapse, joint swelling, coughing, and breathing problems.Blood poisoning in dogs is a medical emergency and needs vet visit immediately. Different blood tests and urine analysis along with some other tests are used to diagnose the toxicity.