What can you do to treat a dog with over active anal glands?

My dog is 8 years old, and he has suddenly developed very over active anal glands. His glands were squeezed 6 weeks ago and they have not stopped secreting a very bad oder. Please only serious answers.His dog food is high in fiber. I buy him a good…

My dog is 8 years old, and he has suddenly developed very over active anal glands. His glands were squeezed 6 weeks ago and they have not stopped secreting a very bad oder. Please only serious answers.His dog food is high in fiber. I buy him a good…...
    General Dog Discussions : What can you do to treat a dog with over active anal glands?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What can you do to treat a dog with over active anal glands?

What can you do to treat a dog with over active anal glands? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is 8 years old, and he has suddenly developed very over active anal glands. His glands were squeezed 6 weeks ago and they have not stopped secreting a very bad oder. Please only serious answers.His dog food is high in fiber. I buy him a good quality dog food; " Natural Balance", lamb and rice variety.But it can't hurt to try what you said. Thanks a lot.

What can you do to treat a dog with over active anal glands? General Dog Discussions
    • i have a 2 yr. old shih tzu and she has that problem and the vet told me to feed her more fiber in her diet.. try adding some pumkin filing to her food about twice a week.. sometimes they don;t eat enough fiber..

• First off he should be checked to make sure there are no signs of infection in the secretion as this will need treatment or the smell will not clear up, and can lead to abcessation. Have his faeces changed consistency over the last few weeks? Normally the anal glands are squeezed as the dog passes faeces and a small amount of the secretion is passed on the faeces, so if he has had diarrhoea or softer faeces then he might not have been naturally emptying his anal glands.You can either take him to your vet/nurse to get them emptied more frequently and often they can teach you how to do it so you do not have to go back so frequently. You can also try adding some fibre to his diet to increase the density of his faeces and so decrease the amount you have to manually empty his glands.Add- balanced dog foods for normal animals are not high enough in fibre for this, you can either get a diet food that has a higher percentage of fibre or buy powdered fibre from a health food shop and add a tablespoon to his normal food.