What is recommended for dog ear infections?

My dog, a shepherd/hound mix, 2 yrs old, has another ear infection. He had taken TRI-OCTIC, which was given to us by his vet. His ear is bothering him again. Is there an ear drop that anyone recommends, preferably one where I don't have to make…

My dog, a shepherd/hound mix, 2 yrs old, has another ear infection. He had taken TRI-OCTIC, which was given to us by his vet. His ear is bothering him again. Is there an ear drop that anyone recommends, preferably one where I don't have to make…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is recommended for dog ear infections?...

• What is recommended for dog ear infections?

What is recommended for dog ear infections? General Dog Discussions
      My dog, a shepherd/hound mix, 2 yrs old, has another ear infection. He had taken TRI-OCTIC, which was given to us by his vet. His ear is bothering him again. Is there an ear drop that anyone recommends, preferably one where I don't have to make another trip to the vet and pay for another expensive prescription medication?

What is recommended for dog ear infections? General Dog Discussions
    • Nope, a vet is your dog's best bet. Period. If the one medication didn't work, try another - doing anything OTC or without vet advice is asking for trouble. As in 'dog loses it's hearing due to improper use of medication' trouble.If your dog is having frequent ear infections, there could be a reason. Poor diet is usually the cause - corn or grains are notorious for causing allergies (of which ear infections can be a part of). Go grain free with the food and see what happens. Properly cleaning the ear on a regular basis AND after swimming is also a good idea.

• My breed are prone to ear infections , a good clean with a saline solution and cotton wool. Then search the Internet for thornit powder which is available without prescription . Just a little bit in each ear once a week keeps any problems at bay.. Honestly works for me

• I use Virbac Cerulytic Dog & Cat Ear Cleanser for my dog. I use it every other week, but I don't know if it will fix an ear infection. Call your vet and see what they say, they can't charge you if you cll, and if they recomend something, great, if they want to see your dog and give them a prescription, go and see them.

• Go to Amazon.com and look up Zymox Otic. Read the reviews on it.This stuff is amazing!I have one who had cronic ear infections for all of her 12 yrs. Believe me, I'm spent a fortune on her ears in all that time. Zymox has cleared up the last several now. And she isn't having as many ear infections anymore. The vet's antibiotics just didn't work for my dog after years. Zymox works!!!!!Then call around to your local stores and go buy Zymox.Another thing that you should do is go read the ingredients on your dog food bag. The first ingredient should be meat, not corn. Corn is a known allergin and can cause ear infections and other allergies. If it does contain corn, change him to a food that does not contain wheat, corn, or soy.