What kind of dog food is reccomended for yeast infection?

My 9 year old pitbull gets horrible yeast infections all over his body. Currently I am giving him 1 probiotic acidophilus daily plus 1/4cup yogurt and 3 benadryl twice a day. He also gets bathed with antifungal shampoo several times a week. What should I…

My 9 year old pitbull gets horrible yeast infections all over his body. Currently I am giving him 1 probiotic acidophilus daily plus 1/4cup yogurt and 3 benadryl twice a day. He also gets bathed with antifungal shampoo several times a week. What should I…...
    General Dog Discussions : What kind of dog food is reccomended for yeast infection?...

• What kind of dog food is reccomended for yeast infection?

What kind of dog food is reccomended for yeast infection? General Dog Discussions
      My 9 year old pitbull gets horrible yeast infections all over his body. Currently I am giving him 1 probiotic acidophilus daily plus 1/4cup yogurt and 3 benadryl twice a day. He also gets bathed with antifungal shampoo several times a week. What should I be feeding him?

What kind of dog food is reccomended for yeast infection? General Dog Discussions
    • you could try feeding a novel protein food such as venison, bison, rabbit, or duck for at least 12 weeks to see if it helps (and you might have to try all of them), or you could feed a hypoallergenic food such as royal canin hp for at least 12 weeks to completely rule out food allergies.if its not food allergy related, feeding a high quality food is still recommended. also adding in fish oils would be good. 180mg/ 10 pounds of body weight.add- NANCY B, yeast infections can be and often are the results of allergies! food and environmental. do some research before spouting off false information.if its from environmental allergies, a medication such as atopica would be beneficial.add- NANCY B (again)- your answer is just wrong. a yeast infection is NOT a type of staph (ph not ff) infection! yeast is a type of fungus while staph is a type of bacteria. antibiotics and sulfur are used to treat bacterial infections. antifungals are used to treat fungal infections. there are two types of antifungals. topicals and oral. topicals include shampoo (which the owner is using), creams, lotions, wipes, and sprays. oral antifungals are extremely hard on the liver and since the animal has to be on them for at least a month and at high doses, they are usually not recommended. topicals are the best route to take. hence the bathing with an antifungal shampoo.now, all the antifungals in the world arent going to do a damn bit of good if the underlying cause isnt addressed, hence the reason for changing the food. if a food allergy is the reason for chronic yeast infections, then putting the dog on a hypoallergenic food will help prevent future yeast infections. if environmental allergies are the cause, finding out what the dog is allergic to and addressing it will help prevent future yeast infections.once again for clarity: yeast = fungal. staph (ph not ff) = bacteria. antifungals treat yeast. antibiotics treat bacterial infections.oh, and bag balm will also not do a damn thing to treat a yeast infection. and why would you want to add more moisture to a moisture problem?add- how do you know its seasonal? age has nothing to do with when allergies develop or what type.add- okay dr nancy, explain:acute moist dermatitis? aka a hot spot (bacterial infection). i am so glad to know you have a crystal ball that allows you to diagnose a dog via the internet.pred? why? not every vet is quick to jump on the pred bandwagon and how do you know the dog hasnt already been treated with pred. besides, if it is a food allergy or something like hypothyroidsim or cushings disease, pred wont help and can potentially make things worse.skin scrape? what will that tell you? dogs with mange usually have bacterial infections not yeast.allergies are seasonal and an animal has to be exposed to an allergen twice before it develops an allergy? clearly you have no clue how allergies develop.just because the dog has been on the same food, doesnt mean it cant develop an allergy.min pins arent prone to allergies? wtf? this dog is a pitbull and any dog can develop allergies.go msu? again, wtf?please email me if you wish to continue discussing this matter because doing it this way, like your answer, is ridiculous.oh yeah, and even if it was acute moist dermatitis, putting bag balm on it will only make it worse.

• OMG! buy some bag balm from your local drug store. it looks like Vaseline and is used to treat infected cow utters. people use it for crack and dry skin. if they don't have it, ask them to order it. Oh, Select a new VET! Changing the food won't help. It is a staff infection caused from moisture. It isn't caused from a food allergy. Dog food doesn't contain antibiotics or sulfur drugs that your dog needs. Where do female women get yeast infection? The same in dogs, in moist areas! Bob, read what the owner wrote!

• Sorry to hear about your misfortune. By all means I would take him to another vet and not say a word about the other diagnoses you have gotten. Don't predispose a diagnoses. Then immediately take the dog off of processed food and put him on a all raw meat diet! There are a lot of good articles on feeding Raw. A lot of problems like yours is quickly solved this way.Wish you and him well.