Any ideas to keep dog ears dry while swimming?

My dog has had ear problems his whole life and it is caused by getting any kind of water in his ears. He has never swam before because of this. Not sure how long he has because of cancer so I have always felt like swimming would be something he would…

My dog has had ear problems his whole life and it is caused by getting any kind of water in his ears. He has never swam before because of this. Not sure how long he has because of cancer so I have always felt like swimming would be something he would…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any ideas to keep dog ears dry while swimming?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any ideas to keep dog ears dry while swimming?

Any ideas to keep dog ears dry while swimming? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has had ear problems his whole life and it is caused by getting any kind of water in his ears. He has never swam before because of this. Not sure how long he has because of cancer so I have always felt like swimming would be something he would enjoy, but I don't want to further his pain by having him get an ear infection. I don't know if theres a such thing as a dog water cap or something like that. Any ideas?

Any ideas to keep dog ears dry while swimming? General Dog Discussions
    • You could try putting pieces of trash bag and then duct tape around it at the base of his ears. I had to do that for my arm when I broke it so I woulddnt get my cast wet. But you could also try getting sham wow. And try the same thing.

• The reason water causes ear infections is because the ear canal is L shaped, so they can't effectively shake it all out. Once the moisture is in, it create a perfect breeding ground for yeast and bacteria. Find an ear cleaner with a self drying agent in it. Oticalm/oticlense are 2 good ones but there are LOTS more. Just squirt it in each ear after swimming or baths, it will do the rest. If you use it 1-2 times a week even with not swimming, it should prevent future infections. They are safe enough to use every day. Try to avoid ones containing alot of alcohol, it wont do damage, but if the ears are inflamed it will sting, making it an very unpleasant experience. Since your pup is prone to infections, look for one with ketoconazole in it (pharmasab/trizultra/ketomax) but you may need to go through a vet to get those.