How much does it cost monthly to take care of a small dog?

I don't have that much money to spend but I really want a dog! I am intrested in small dogs like a yorkshire terrier, toy poodle or maybe a chiuaua. If any one has any suggestions on dogs that don't require much maintenance or aren't so costly feel free!…

I don't have that much money to spend but I really want a dog! I am intrested in small dogs like a yorkshire terrier, toy poodle or maybe a chiuaua. If any one has any suggestions on dogs that don't require much maintenance or aren't so costly feel free!…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much does it cost monthly to take care of a small dog?...

• How much does it cost monthly to take care of a small dog?

How much does it cost monthly to take care of a small dog? General Dog Discussions
      I don't have that much money to spend but I really want a dog! I am intrested in small dogs like a yorkshire terrier, toy poodle or maybe a chiuaua. If any one has any suggestions on dogs that don't require much maintenance or aren't so costly feel free! Thank You :)

How much does it cost monthly to take care of a small dog? General Dog Discussions
    • I had two little dachsunds for 12 years, and they really didnt eat that much. i mean, a medium sized bag at like walmart is about 15 dollars. treats are like 5...anyways. at most you might spend about 100 dollars maybe lol

• yorkies, toy poodles and/or chihuahuas are generally an expensive breed to buy from a quality breeder in the first place. i first suggest going to your local spca to check out any small dogs there. in order to be a responsible dog own you have to first make sure youre ready for a 10+ yr commitment. if you are sure youre ready you then have to make sure you have the money to buy quality dog food for your dog and have the means to take it to the vet for exams, shots, etc. the cost of a vet visit differs at different offices and states, i know where i live an average office visit is about $60 not including what it costs for shots or any testing that needs to be done. also, spay/neuter surgery: it costs more to have a female dog spayed than it does to have a male dog neutered. i have a shepherd mix and a chihuahua and i can tell you that their dog food costs me roughly $50 monthly.. between a vet visit, flea/heartworm preventative, food and toys i spent about $900 within the last two months. not saying thats every month, i spend about an average of $100-$200 a month on my two dogs, but you have to be prepared to spend that much on them should they need to be seen by a vet for any reason. i would say that if you want to be responsible then i would wait until i had plenty of money saved up to own a dog comfortably and not worry too much about expenses. good luck!

• i have a five pound dog and i spend about twenty dollars a month on his food ... and that is a quality dog food ... i also may spend money during the month on a new toy or ball, and he gets a bone from he butcher a week, each bone is ninety-nine cents ... but you can't just buy a dog and think those costs are all there is to it ... dogs need shots, spaying/neutering, poop and scoop bags, leashes, collars, dog license, and what happens if the dog gets sick or has an accident, vets are not cheap ... some places dogs require monthly flea/tick prevention, heartworm prevention ... all of this adds up regardless of how small the dog is ...