Affordable effective remedy for canine dermatitis?

I recently rescued a dog who has a severe case of dermatitis and because it has been left a long time his skin has thickened and has lost a lot of hair. I have tried numerous medicated shampoos and can not afford the vet. What is an affordable, effective…

I recently rescued a dog who has a severe case of dermatitis and because it has been left a long time his skin has thickened and has lost a lot of hair. I have tried numerous medicated shampoos and can not afford the vet. What is an affordable, effective…...
    General Dog Discussions : Affordable effective remedy for canine dermatitis?...

• Affordable effective remedy for canine dermatitis?

Affordable effective remedy for canine dermatitis? General Dog Discussions
      I recently rescued a dog who has a severe case of dermatitis and because it has been left a long time his skin has thickened and has lost a lot of hair. I have tried numerous medicated shampoos and can not afford the vet. What is an affordable, effective solution to not only cure but relieve him of the itching?

Affordable effective remedy for canine dermatitis? General Dog Discussions
    • try apple cider vinegar. put about 1 teaspoon to 1 desertspoon in his water, wash him in a natural shampoo rinse well and then rinse him with the cider vinegar and let him air dry (do NOT rinse the cider vinegar off) and spray him with cider vinegar 2-3 times a day.add salmon oil to food.also start him on a raw diet as this could also help.high doses of vitamin C and E.

• giving your dog a high quality food works wonders. any brands such as royal canin or hills science diet is great. although they are priced double as expensive as the supermarket brands, you only feed half the amount, so it does equal out, which most people don't realize.also feeding lighter meats like chicken and fish in the dry food instead of lamb or beef is good for skin conditions.make sure your dog is getting alot of omega oils from fish. you can get supplements from any good pet store.

• Before worrying about clearing it up, how about finding out what it is? Mange?...need skin scrapings to determine this. Allergies.......check labels on food bags and eliminate all corn,wheat,soy,by-products and chicken including treats. Hypothyroidism.....get a thyroid panel run. Cushings.........vet checkUntil you can find out what is causing this, Benadryl, dosed at the rate of 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day should stop the itch.Here's how to treat mange, after a diagnosis by a vet;http://www.vetinfo.com/treatment-for-mange-htmlHere are symptoms to look for in diagnosing Hypothyroidism;http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Hypothyroid.htmlhttp://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/dog-hypo.htm

• Sodocrem, it used to be advertised as a nappy/diaper cream however because it contains a high % of zinc, it soothes and helps with healing. They have now started to label this as a Healing cream and it does. Take care as your dog might try to lick this off, consequently you should apply it just before a walk or give him a bone to distract him.Dogs often suffer from skin problems if there is grain in their dog food. Beef also creates problems and so does milk.I have learnt by my mistakes. My present dog had dreadful problems because of the food which I gave her, I experimented with dog food, I tried raw diets, cooked diets and over the years I tried various dog foods. She did not like the raw diets and the dog food that I gave her resulted in diarrhoea. As an experienced dog owner I introduced any changes gradually. Nevertheless my dog still had problems. Eventually, because of my researches on the Internet I found that the experts have recently discovered that GRAIN in our dog’s diet causes many problems. I now know that grain creates acidity in the blood. This causes skin problems, digestive issues, allergies, sickness, constipation, diarrhoea, anal gland problems etc., if your dog has skin problems or any of the above problems PLEASE CHANGE THE DIET. Avoid Grain, rice, beef derivatives and dairy food A rapid change of diet will upset your dog; any change of diet must be done gradually. Do please change to a grain free diet. I have had sixteen dogs throughout the years and they have had various problems. Perhaps if I had known about the dangers of GRAIN they would have had fewer problems. .