How can I tell if my dog has fleas?

My dog has been itching himself more than usual lately (the last week or so), but I never considered fleas until today. I noticed that he has little white things on his black fur. I can't tell if they're moving or not. Are fleas white? Can you see…

My dog has been itching himself more than usual lately (the last week or so), but I never considered fleas until today. I noticed that he has little white things on his black fur. I can't tell if they're moving or not. Are fleas white? Can you see…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I tell if my dog has fleas?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I tell if my dog has fleas?

How can I tell if my dog has fleas? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has been itching himself more than usual lately (the last week or so), but I never considered fleas until today. I noticed that he has little white things on his black fur. I can't tell if they're moving or not. Are fleas white? Can you see them with the naked eye? Can a groomer take care of the fleas, or do I need to take him to the vet? He's never had fleas before. Thank you!

How can I tell if my dog has fleas? General Dog Discussions
    • The white things may be pet dander (like dandruff) or could be flea eggs. Take him to a dog groomer, they will give him a flea bath (cost about $20), he will feel alot better, and so will you. The vet can prescribe a medication that will kill the fleas as well. All pets get fleas...you just have to take care of them.

• I was gonna give you a nasty answer first, but...every dog should be on flea PREVENTION medication, it's just not fair to wait for fleas to bug in.P.S. these meds are usually well tested and do not harm the animal. See the vet!!!

• fleas are smaller than the ball of a ball point pen, black and if you magnify them, their ugly too. depending on what size animal and how well behaved he is would determine whether I'd want to give him a flee bath or not. The vets do have something they put on the back of the neck that kills anything that bites the animal applied to, advantage I think. talk to your vet. the stuff he can get you is 3 times stronger than what you can get in the store. gl

• Flea combs a cheap and easy. Buy one, comb the dog and shake the contents out onto a white tissue / paper towell. What you are looking for is black dust that when wet turns reddy brown. This is flea poo. Fleas themselves are brown. Alternatively if your central heating has recently come on the humidity in the house will have dropped dramatically which can dry the skin and make it itchy, for this use an EFA product, your local vet will help here.

• stand your dog in the bath (without water)and then give him a good rub down, anything in his fur will fall to the bottom of the bath. Moisten the bottom of the bath where the debris from your dogs fur has landed, if this becomes a reddish colour, then its the feces from fleas otherwise if it remains the same colour its dander or dandruff. if its fleas then your local vet can prescribe an effective flea spray for him, also if you need to spray around your house then a spray called Acclaim works wonders - just follow the instructions on the can.

• First off, I don't know of any fleas that are white. It sounds like dry skin (dandruff) on his coat. Part the hair in several places and look at his skin... do you see any black spots? This is dried blood that is commonly referred to as flea dirt (poop). See the reference below for info on the flea and its life cycle.Even though a vet visit will cost more than a visit to the groomer, I would opt for the vet at this point. A dog's skin is very different than a human's (only two layers, no sweat glands, etc.) and skin problems can cause a lot of discomfort. I wouldn't wait very long... if the skin is compromised from scratching, then an infection can set in.I would caution you about using multiple flea treatments... they are insecticides (translated- poison) which vary in toxicity and can have additive effects. Your vet is the best person to determine what is going on and recommend a treatment program for both your dog and your home (if you do indeed have a flea problem). If it is a skin problem, he can give you some meds (cortisteroids, etc.) that can help.

• As others have said, fleas are black (dark brown, actually), and shiny. Your dog might be scratching more, but if he's got white flakes he might just have itchy dry skin, as that sounds more like dandruff. If you're concerned, check for flea dirt. It's most commonly found on the rump just above the base of the tail, and at the scruff of the neck- fleas tend to gather there because it's harder for your dog to reach when it's itchy. Flea dirt (yes, flea poop) is just little black dried up specks. Looks like dirt, hence the name. If you don't find any, and you don't see anything moving on your dog, the likelyhood that he has fleas at this time of the year are low (unless you live in a warm climate). If you're still worried about it, take him to a groomer- even if it's just dry skin, he or she might be able to do something to help.

• Fleas are black, and their dirts (poos) are also black. Their eggs and larvae are microscopic; you can't see them. These white specks are likely to be flakes of skin (dandruff) caused by any number of skin conditions. To find out if he has fleas, run a flea comb through his fur, particularly around the belly, neck and armpits. Look at the fur on the comb; does it have any black specks on it? These are flea dirts. You can also comb over wet white paper; flea dirts turn red when wetted. You do need to get flea treatment from a vets. From what I've heard, groomers only seem to use flea shampoos, which don't work. You need proper treatment like Frontline, Advantage, Advocate or Revolution. It's a good idea to treat your dog regularly. If it isn't fleas, you definitely need to get him to a vet to find out what's causing the scratching; it could be mites, hormonal imbalances, allergies - many things!Chalice