How long should you walk a husky during the summer months.?

I have a siberian husky. I walk her everyday. But she dosen't like the heat to much. (go figure) . I used to walk her about 20 minutes during the summer and winter. much longer in spring and fall. I always bring water for both of us during our walks.…

I have a siberian husky. I walk her everyday. But she dosen't like the heat to much. (go figure) . I used to walk her about 20 minutes during the summer and winter. much longer in spring and fall. I always bring water for both of us during our walks.…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long should you walk a husky during the summer months.?...

• How long should you walk a husky during the summer months.?

How long should you walk a husky during the summer months.? General Dog Discussions
      I have a siberian husky. I walk her everyday. But she dosen't like the heat to much. (go figure) . I used to walk her about 20 minutes during the summer and winter. much longer in spring and fall. I always bring water for both of us during our walks. I shortened the walks between 10 and 15 minutes, but she get restless at home. She loves walks, but lately, she gets hot pretty fast. Shes 6 years old now, is it because shes older? I was just wondering how long is long enough for a dog with a double coat?She starts to pant heavly after 10 or 15 minutes.

How long should you walk a husky during the summer months.? General Dog Discussions
    • It's really been hot lately. Walk her after dark or early in the morning when it is cooler and she should be fine.I've changed my walks to 10 p.m. because of the heat.I would try to walk her as long as she can handle without getting overheated.

• The coat should have little bearing on how long your dog exercises. A well maintained coat insulates from the heat as well as the cold. A properly groomed dog would be just as comfortable or uncomfortable as a person on a hot or a cold day.Length of exercise should be gaged more on the fitness level of your dog. If she has a good endurance level, naturally she could walk further. If it's very hot outside and you don't want to go on a long walk because of the heat, chances are that your dog will feel the same.

• I would do this in the evening where the sun is not shining but it is still light, 7ish 8ish, i have started taken more caution about what time of day i walk my dogs and the temperature, since heatstrokes are a big issue in dogs during summer months.heres a key factor of heatstrokes in dogs, something i learneddogs that have a shorter snout(mouth) are more prone to having a heatstroke than dogs with a longer snout (mouth)also the hair a dog will be more hair will be more prone to having a heat stroke than dogs with shorter hairHumidity, the more humid is outside, increases the chance of heatstroke in your dog, make sure to give him water before the walk, to help keep him hydrated better, now after the walk, dont allow him to instantly get water, wait about 5 to 10 mins so i will allow him to calm down after the walk and cool of some, things can happen if you let your dog drink water very quickly after walk, one all he will do is throw it back up, from being to hot, and this is another way for him to have a stroke, drinking water to soon after walk at water temps way lower than his increased body temp, allowing him to drink water instantly after walk could lead to a stroke, or he will go into shock, I have studied on these things, and gotten advice from vets about this stuffstill researching on winter and the symptom in dogs while out in the cold, will get back with thathope this helps some,