My dog ate my used tampon what do I do?

Help! My dog just ate a used tampon. He seems to be acting fine, more than fine, actually. But I'm really worried. WIll the blood do something to him? Will he die?

Help! My dog just ate a used tampon. He seems to be acting fine, more than fine, actually. But I'm really worried. WIll the blood do something to him? Will he die?...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog ate my used tampon what do I do?...

• My dog ate my used tampon what do I do?

My dog ate my used tampon what do I do? General Dog Discussions
      Help! My dog just ate a used tampon. He seems to be acting fine, more than fine, actually. But I'm really worried. WIll the blood do something to him? Will he die?

My dog ate my used tampon what do I do? General Dog Discussions
    • The blood won't do anything but the tampon will.Keep an eye on your dog, if he goes off his food, water contact your vet immediatly as the tampon can get stuck in his gut. Check his poo over the next couple of days to make sure the tampon has been passed and the string has not wrapped around his intestines, a very costly operation to have it removed by the way.

• You are right to be worried, as this is a medical emergency. The material in the tampon is designed to expand and prevent fluids passing down the vaginal canal, so it is also perfectly designed to block his intestine and cause a strangulated bowel (and his subsequent painful death). Get him to an emergency vet right away.

• Tampons swell up as that is what they are designed to do. Put one in water and see how big they get- they get amazingly huge. Call you vet for advice, they can get stuck and cause a blockage, which is a life threatening thing. Make sure you watch the dog when you take it out so you can see that it passes- you will be able to find it in the poop. If the dog starts vomiting or refusing to eat or the belly swells or he runs a fever or seems uncomfortable, you need to consider that an emergency and take the dog to the vet. You did not say what size the dog is and it may well come out on it's own fine, but you need to be vigilant until it does or does not after 3 days or so. I have seen them come out fine and I have also seen laparotomies to remove them. The fact it was used is not the issue, it is if it swells & gets stuck as they are porous and tend to pick up particles of food as they pass through & just get bigger & bigger. Good luck