What if I feel my home has been exposed to a dog with mange?

My boyfriend brought home a cute little dog and I called mange when I saw it this morning. Although I did not let my other dog touch the dog, the little dog was on a couch and chair, and slept with the oldest child last night. Is there something I need…

My boyfriend brought home a cute little dog and I called mange when I saw it this morning. Although I did not let my other dog touch the dog, the little dog was on a couch and chair, and slept with the oldest child last night. Is there something I need…...
    General Dog Discussions : What if I feel my home has been exposed to a dog with mange?...

• What if I feel my home has been exposed to a dog with mange?

What if I feel my home has been exposed to a dog with mange? General Dog Discussions
      My boyfriend brought home a cute little dog and I called mange when I saw it this morning. Although I did not let my other dog touch the dog, the little dog was on a couch and chair, and slept with the oldest child last night. Is there something I need to do to what I feel was exposure?

What if I feel my home has been exposed to a dog with mange? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends on what type of mange.Demodex mange is harmless. Ringworm is highly contagious and your kid will probably come down with something. It's fungus, not a worm, and not the mange.Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans.Here read all about it:http://www.canismajor.com/dog/zoonot.html#Mange

• First off, take the dog to the vet and see if it does have mange. The vet can tell you if the type of mange he has can be transferred to humans or not. If it can be, you need to wash everything the dog has been on or around. Any clothing, bed sheets, couch cushions, etc etc etc...If the dog isn't yours and you don't plan on taking it to the vet, I'd clean these things up just in case. Otherwise, all you can do is wait and see if symptoms arise in your other dog or any of your family. If they start itching, take them to the vet or doctor as soon as possible. And yes, Demodex type mange is harmless to humans and rarely transfers between dogs, but it is harmful to the dog with it. He'd still need to see a vet for treatment ASAP.