11 year old lab with heart condition?

Our lab has a heart murmur and the fluid that backs up into her lungs keeps her coughing and wheezing for hours at a time inspite of her medication she takes. She has also lost alot of weight, but eats regularly. She can't do any physical activity…

Our lab has a heart murmur and the fluid that backs up into her lungs keeps her coughing and wheezing for hours at a time inspite of her medication she takes. She has also lost alot of weight, but eats regularly. She can't do any physical activity…...
    General Dog Discussions : 11 year old lab with heart condition?...

• 11 year old lab with heart condition?

11 year old lab with heart condition? General Dog Discussions
      Our lab has a heart murmur and the fluid that backs up into her lungs keeps her coughing and wheezing for hours at a time inspite of her medication she takes. She has also lost alot of weight, but eats regularly. She can't do any physical activity because she looses her breath and coughs and wheezes. Is this painful and Is it time to put her down?

11 year old lab with heart condition? General Dog Discussions
    • It is definitely uncomfortable for your doogy to be wheezing and coughing all the time.The fluid in the lungs means that she has gone into congestive heart failure.What are the meds that she is on?an ace-inhibitor, diuretics and pimobendin?Talk it over with your vet, if her condition continues, it might be kinder to euthanise her.

• You need to go back to the vet in order to get the right advice about this. It may be that something as simple as a change or increase in meds may be enough or there may be something else going on. More blood tests etc. may be needed or if after consulting with your vet you feel that your dogs quality of life is just too compromised putting her down may be the kindest option. However this is not a question an armature can answer. You really do need to consult with a professional.

• Our 10year old weimaraner was diagnosed with CHF, heart murmur, etc last October after suffering from the same symptoms. His 6 meds a day including Pimobendan have been amazing. We never expected him to last this long. He, too, has lost about 30 lbs---all his bones are showing, and has fluctuating appetite levels. He lost most of his muscle and falls more frequently. HIs belly is all swollen from fluids so it is difficult for him to get comfortable for long periods of time. We still can't put him down though because most of the time he is still so sweet and happy. If he gets worse we will have to make that decision but for now we just stay on the medicine and pray for the best. Good luck to you and we hope for the best.

• I agree that tis sounds like CHF (identical in humans). However, if she is healthy in all other ways, the control of pleural fluid build up is usually fairly successful with medication. You definitely need to discuss this with your vet.Believe it or not, my father had the same problem. After a massive heart attack and a 3X bypass, we were his caregivers. The odd part was that his CHF was not constant... we had to listen to his lungs, check for dehydration, and adjust his Lasix accordingly. If you want to take a proactive approach, you may want to learn what fluid build up sounds like (with a stethoscope) and how to check skin tugor (for dehydration). If your vet agrees, then you may have success by varying your dogs meds.If your vet is not inclined to work with you and your dog, then I urge you to seek a second opinion. (If you can, go to a veterinary teaching hospital [like a state university/college] where they would have a canine cardiologist,)Please go to the link below for more info on CHF.If all else fails, and your dog is suffering greatly, then I would consider "the last act of kindness".Good luck, I hope things work out!

• I had 2 dogs with enlarged hearts and fluid would build up in their lungs as well. I don't know what meds your dog is on, buy mine were on Lasix and Digoxin. I knew it was time when the meds no longer worked and my vet couldn't increase the dosage any more.You need to speak to your vet and see if they can possibly increase the dose or try another medication.It's not painful, but it is very uncomfortable not being able to breathe. I knew it was time when my last one was not able to lay down because he would cough and choke. Poor little guy tried to sleep sitting up so I propped him in between two pillows for support.