one of my dogs has kennel cough should i vaccinate the others?

one of my dog has kennel cough and i dont know if i should vaccinate the others or if would make them get it easyer

one of my dog has kennel cough and i dont know if i should vaccinate the others or if would make them get it easyer...
    General Dog Discussions : one of my dogs has kennel cough should i vaccinate the others?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• one of my dogs has kennel cough should i vaccinate the others?

one of my dogs has kennel cough should i vaccinate the others? General Dog Discussions
      one of my dog has kennel cough and i dont know if i should vaccinate the others or if would make them get it easyer

one of my dogs has kennel cough should i vaccinate the others? General Dog Discussions
    • You might like to vaccinate your other dogs to be sure they don't get it. Kennel cough usually lasts for around 3 weeks before it clears up again which isn't too bad but it's obviously not comfortable to the dog to be honking and coughing all the time.If your other dogs are quite fit and healthy then they may not get it at all. I know that in young dogs, older dogs and dogs with weak immune systems can have the kennel cough for 6 weeks or longer if they aren't vaccinated prior. Not nice at all for them.We have 4 dogs. One of them has had kennel cough twice and none of the other dogs fell ill. Maybe it was luck of the draw. We will never know. Our other dogs have not been immunised but I will get my older dog (13) vaccinated in the next few months to be on the safe side.

• At this point the others have most likely been exposed, so probably not a huge benefit to vaccinating them for it at this stage. You wouldn't want to vaccinate them at a time when their immune system is likely already compromised trying to cope with a potential infection, so I wouldn't personally recommend it. Exceptions would be if your other dogs have been/can be kept separate from the infected one.