A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild

The local vet told her to feed it white gatorade mixed with water and we have been giving it bread. It's wing was hurt, not badly. It is at the fledgling stage and I really need to know what would be best to feed it and also the best way to return it to…

A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild

The local vet told her to feed it white gatorade mixed with water and we have been giving it bread. It's wing was hurt, not badly. It is at the fledgling stage and I really need to know what would be best to feed it and also the best way to return it to…...
    General Dog Discussions : A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild...

• A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild

A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild General Dog Discussions
      The local vet told her to feed it white gatorade mixed with water and we have been giving it bread. It's wing was hurt, not badly. It is at the fledgling stage and I really need to know what would be best to feed it and also the best way to return it to the outdoors.

A friend of mine rescued a baby mocking bird from a dog. What is the best way to feed it and return it to wild General Dog Discussions
    • Feed it the insects and worms that the mother birds feed their babies. We have saved several different birds would let them go as would take them outside each day too see if they could fly around to get their strength. Soon, each bird flew away.

• When I was a little kid, we rescued a baby bird with a hurt wing. We fed it bread mixed with water through a dropper. I don't know if that's the best way, but we didn't know what else to do for it. And it worked out fine in the end, after his wing healed, we took him back into our backyard, and he flew off.

• Get meow mix cat food, soak the nugget until is is soft. Dangle it over it's head and he will suck it down. Do this and watch the neck area, it will bulge out. Do this until it's full and it settles down. Do not offer a bunch of water, only the water in the cat food now. They have to get a high meat base, because in the wild the Mom is shoving down earth worms and regurgitating different insects that are high in protein. The cat food work's well, I've seen rescue centers use this.

• I would suggest calling the conservation department in your area. They should have some good ideals. Also if it is not possible to set it free they have contained free range for animal that they use for educating people on the animals.

• most times listen to the vet when they tell you what to do, i had one once and feed it salem eggs in an eye dropper. you rlocal humane soceity has a program to help then release wild animals. they will take it from you and help it then find a good place and let it go.

• DO NOT FEED LIVE FOOD LIKE WORMS TO BABY BIRDS. They will choke on them. Feed canned puppy food to it and call a wild life pest control person. They know wildlife rescuers.

• Sorry, this is probably long but,This happens a lot here, strong winds and rain in spring cause chicks to fall out of nests. I've rescued quite a few over the years and only have 4 that I could not return to the "wild". If they are really small I give a mushy mixture of bread and water, (yes every time they scream, young ones I have to bring to work so they can be fed. It takes less than a minute for them to be full for about 2 hrs.). A little older, raw hamburger meat, bread crumbs, grass made really mushy. When I start to feed I use a twig from the tree they fell out of shape it to be able to put the food down their throat. When they are able to fly around the house safely, get back to their cage, and eat without the twig,( I add tiny worms as they age) I take them outside. Some don't go very far and I am able to bring them back into the house. Some "get it" and will stick around for a few days, but eventually fly off. Again sorry this is long we have no avian vets here but doing this is does feel nice.

• I have a bird book and looking for you. Is this a Northern Mocking bird? If so, it does not say what to give the fledgling but the diet of an adults; "insects,spiders, worms also the attract for feeders they will eat suet, raisins, cut apples, or bread. I would say get some tweezers plastic ones and feed it that way. also they need water.