will dogs get sick on a 14 hour long ride?

my family and i r taking our dogs on a 14 hour drive for vacation. will they get sick? what r some ways to keep them comfortable in the car?

my family and i r taking our dogs on a 14 hour drive for vacation. will they get sick? what r some ways to keep them comfortable in the car?...
    General Dog Discussions : will dogs get sick on a 14 hour long ride?...

• will dogs get sick on a 14 hour long ride?

will dogs get sick on a 14 hour long ride? General Dog Discussions
      my family and i r taking our dogs on a 14 hour drive for vacation. will they get sick? what r some ways to keep them comfortable in the car?

will dogs get sick on a 14 hour long ride? General Dog Discussions
    • If they are used to car rides, they should be fine. Just make sure to stop every couple of hours and let them walk and stretch, just like people do.If they are uncomfortable in a car, then you might want to consider leaving them with a friend or boarding them. It is a long time for an animal who doesn't like cars to begin with.

• it depends on the dog...try taking rest stops every so often so they can get a break. and set up a big spot in the car so they can sleep comfortable and make sure their food/water is out at all times

• Dogs can have a lot of fun traveling in the car as long as they are properly taken care of during the drive. A rule of thumb is to stop every 2-3 hours and let the dogs take a potty break and a few minutes to walk around on a leash for exercise. Additionally, they should be offered small quantities of water during the drive. Before you take the long trip, try driving your dogs around for about 30 minutes to an hour and see how they react. You may decide to crate them if they get too nervous. (Crating a nervous dog in the car can help soothe them). Or, you may find that your dogs naturally take to the driving and you won't have to do anything special for them. I would also recommend taking a test drive with your dogs before the major trip to see if they will be car sick. If they are, you may want to call a vet and see if you can get a pet sedative. The day of the trip, take your dogs for a long walk to wear them out, and feed them small, frequent meals instead of one or two large meals.. (This can help prevent stomach upset during travel.)Don't be surprised, though, if your dogs get an upset stomach. This is pretty common for travel. You may want to get an anti-diahrrea medication from your vet to take with you on your trip as a precaution.

• Hiya xI agree, if your dogs are used to and comfortable with travelling in the car you should have no problems as long as you let them out to exercise and offer water everytime you stop. We've done this with ours and had no problems at all. Just make sure they have plenty of room and are comfortable.Safe journeyxdawn

• A lot of them do, yes. You can minimize this by feeding them very lightly during the trip and waiting till you reach your destination before letting them have a full meal.It's best if you can crate them for the ride ... safer, too. A loose dog in a moving vehicle is both a safety-hazard, and a distraction to the driver. Keeping the dog confined might help to cut down on carsickness as well, since they won't be thrown off balance with every stop, start, and turn.Even so, take lots of paper towels and some carpet/upholstery cleaner. You'll need them at some point during your trip. Take several gallons of your own water along, because some dogs can get severe digestive upsets from an unfamiliar water source.Also be sure your dogs are wearing tags with your cell-phone # in case, God forbid, one of them gets loose. Take special care at highway rest-stops ... some dogs will freak out and bolt (another reason to have them crated, they can't make a run if a car-door opens!)Take along a copy of your dogs' medical records just in case you'd need vet care while out of town, and in case you need to prove that your pets are up-to-date on vaccinations (for example, at a pet-friendly motel).Enjoy your trip!

• as long as you start in the morning don't feed them or they will throw up in the car ( that's what happened to my pup. . . .)and make stops along the way like every 2 hours stop walk your dog around a bit outside let it pee or poop or both the get back in the car ad drive again. if its a pup every 2 hours if a kid like 2 or 3 yrs about 4 or 5 if adult 5 -6 if old probably 1 -2 cuz its old and cant hold its poop so it could poo in the car and that wouldn't be good . . . always sit next to them the whole trip so its not sacred and rub its side or its belly and if it falls asleep then keep petting it if u get tired of petting then just hod them pup or adult or old dog it still needs your love and copassion.