Will you help me make a list of things for a new dog?

Hello, i do not have a thing for a dog and im getting a yorkshire i will have 150.00 for supplies what do i need and what kind of food do you prefer?please be detailed

Hello, i do not have a thing for a dog and im getting a yorkshire i will have 150.00 for supplies what do i need and what kind of food do you prefer?please be detailed...
    General Dog Discussions : Will you help me make a list of things for a new dog?...

• Will you help me make a list of things for a new dog?

Will you help me make a list of things for a new dog? General Dog Discussions
      Hello, i do not have a thing for a dog and im getting a yorkshire i will have 150.00 for supplies what do i need and what kind of food do you prefer?please be detailed

Will you help me make a list of things for a new dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Shopping List Bring when picking up the dog:Buckle collar: leather or non-stretch material. Make sure it is "2-fingers" snug and can't come off.ID tag: attached securely to collar.Training (slip) collar, harness or head collar: Measure the neck and add 3 " for the proper length - just long enough to fit over the head. Learn how to put it on right. Good alternatives include neck/body harnesses and head halters, which are fitted. Leash: strong clasp and thick leather or double-ply woven for your comfort.Note: use another person or a crate/carrier to transport a puppy to contain any "accidents."Supplies to have ready at home: Crate: an invaluable tool, especially at the beginning. Avoid crating a dog for more than 5 hours. Place safe toys inside. Folding crates are also ideal for traveling. If the dog chews on crate bars, get the Vari-kennel or airline crate. Make sure the crate is large enough for dog when full grown; you can block off part for a pup. You can mail-order crates from Dog's Outfitter 1-800-367-3647, Foster & Smith1-800-826-7206 and R.C. Steele 1-800-872-3773.Baby gates: a good confinement alternative. Make sure dog can't get head/paws caught in gate, can't chew threw or knock down the gate or jump the gate.Bedding: easy to clean, thick enough for comfort.Puppy pen: helpful when you want a pup confined but not crated.Water and food bowls: use stainless steel or ceramic with no painting in the inside. Plastic can absorb bacteria and smell.Flea comb: check for fleas, and comb to aid the skin. Good "shedding" control, too.Brush: brush daily; good for skin and can be better than bathing.Grooming supplies: get the right tools for your dog if you're going to bathe, clip claws and cut fur yourself. Different coats require different brushes. Pet-specific cleaners: such as Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle, available from pet supply stores. They remove pet stains and odors.20-foot leash: good for training the "come" command.Feeding, nutrition & toys: Food: gradually change over to the food of your choice. Use a good grade of dog food. Premium dog food can lead to lower vet bills. Dry food is good for teeth and digestion. No table scraps: feeding table scraps encourages begging. It's your job to keep food out of reach.Biscuits: avoid those with food coloring. Use to reward good behavior.Low-fat plain yogurt, grated organic carrots and parsley: good daily diet supplements.Organic apple cider vinegar: a little added to water bowl daily can help digestion and deter fleas.Rescue Remedy (available in health food stores): calms when traveling, nervous or injured.Toys: use safe chew toys, such as non-rawhide-based chew-strips. Soft toys are good for some dogs, but others will pull them apart, so remove if this happens. No rawhide bones: they can be rough on digestion, cause choking - plus rawhides, pigs hooves and other too-highly covered treats can incite dogs to fight over them.Beware of hooves and hard-packed chews/bones that can crack teeth.No chicken bones: they splinter and can cause internal injuries.Getting a dog license:Contact animal control in your area to license your dog. You must have a rabies certificate. In some jurisdictions, proof of spay/neuter reduces the license fee. Dogs don't come pre-programmed. In your dog's previous life, he may have been encouraged to jump up on people, steal food, or play too rough. Use clear, simple, consistent commands and positive reinforcement. Reward good behavior with treats, hugs and a happy voice. Use corrections sparingly.

• Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Food/ Small Bites Formula is a really good food!!! I have a Pomeranian & she loves it. It has great levels of protein, fresh meats, and vitamins... it also does not have a lot of filler in it.Some things that people often forget when they buy a puppy are:1) Bitter Apple... its a non-toxic spray that deters pups/dogs from chewing on things they are not supposed to.2) "Natures Miracle" or "Simple Solution"... they are stain and odor removers, these 2 are the best.3) An Identification tag to attach to the collar.. (at least with your name, phn #, and address on it). You'd be surprised how many dogs seem to find themselves away from their owner in the1st few days.4) The name & number of your regular vet and the closest 24 hour emergency vet... (In case of emergencies).5) Lots of paper towels!!!6) Enervite (or another similar blood sugar elevator)... toy dogs & smaller pups have been known to get low blood sugar when they are stressed or don't eat well... Low blood sugar can cause lethargy, confusion, and even seizures. Follow the instructions on the box and call your vet if you sight somthing unusual about the pup's behavior.7) I would NOT reccommend any rawhide toys... It is too easy for pups to chew off larger pieces of it and swallow them. Remember: toy dogs have narrow intestines and a piece of rawhide could easily get lodged there if swallowed. There are plenty of other toy alternatives out there (kongs, etc).Good Luck with your new family member!!!

• The vet is a first stop--for the check-up and subsequent visits scheduling--for the shots that all dogs need---then a town license. Then a nice "easy to reach "dish for the food and another for the water. Then the vet recommened food for a puppy. ..and instructions on how to feed. The dog---any dog---is not a human--so the skin and the hair is different--you don't wash a dog like a human gets washed---or as often. Dogs lived in caves and ate dirt many years ago--so whatever us modern humans do is way too much---the advertising companies make it seem like dog care is like a human baby care.... it isn't. Put the food and water in ONE spot---let the dog walk on the ground--let the dog sleep on the floor where it belongs. Good luck.

• Ask your friends for a good vet and also check on the breeder. It's important to know where the pup is coming from. If it's a pet shop, I'd take the dog to the vet asap just to make sure.Here's the list: it might be a little bit more expensive than $150: a crate for a small dog, crate bed/puppy bed, puppy training pads (if he's not potty trained yet), leash, collar, name tag( $6-8 at petsmart; they have those machines that engrave the dog's name, your address and phone number in case he/she gets lost), water/food bowls ( I feed mine IAMS so for your yorkie,i'd get the small breed bag or puppy food if you're getting a youngster), TOYS! lots of them, bones (rawhide or rubber) that he/she can chew on, a brush so his fur won't get tangled....gosh,what else?Also,include lots of love and patience. New pets are never easy but they will love you forever.Good luck,hon !

• *Collar*Leash*Food bowls (any small bowl will suffice)*flea/tick preventative (frontline, advantage, advantix, revolution)*You will need it's vaccines if the dog hasn't had them yet*A bed, or crate to sleep in*puppy pee pads (if it is not trained)*Food (Purina is the best food on a budget. Make sure it is puppy food)*A chew toy, or rope toy That's all I can think of..

• a crate for sure. dogs need that for security. if you can't afford a new one try craigslist.com for local listings in your area.any food will do; we have two boxers and buy the cheapest at Sam's club. Dog's don't know the difference. Treats are important to reward good behavior.A good dog brush and dog shampoo to keep him clean. You can also get dog tooth brushes. Their hygene is important!Hope those few things help!

• besides the basics food bowls, toys, bed, leash, collar, shampoo, brush, nail clippers, dont forget the vet for shots worming and FLEA CONTROL you will be glad you did

• You're going to need more than 150 I can guarantee that, but your dog will need a crate (for when you're not there) a bed, toys (I suggest going to rummage sales and buying old stuff animals throw them in the washer and let the dog have at it) also your dog will need small toys, my boyfriend aunt has yorkies and she bought them this big jack looking squeaky toy and couldn't figure out why they didn't play with it... it was because it was the size of most of her dogs. food and water bowls, as for food, it depends on the age of your dog, if it's a puppy get puppy chow, I'd talk to your vet about what to put your new dog on as all vets say something different. You will also need some type of shampoo, flea repellent (I suggest advantage or advantx) and a heartwom medicine (which you can also get from your vet), nail clippers, a brush to comb it's hair (especially if you're going to keep it long). a collar (or harness, I like the harness for taking dogs on walks, but I have a lab so she's a little harder to control on a leash), dog tags, a leash these were all things that I bought within the first month of having a dog. That's all I could think of, good luck!

• first and for most......LOVE! then a good collar and leash, food and water bowl ( these need not be expensive, just washable), and i would recommend keeping the puppy on whatever food they have been feeding it. no upset tummies this way!a small note.....your new pet should have an i. d. tag. if not sure what to name your new baby, make sure and get a nylon collar and put your phone number or address on it with a permanet marker. that way should your new pet wander off, you at least have some sort of i. d. for whomever finds it to return it to you! not a permanet solution, but it will do for the time being! good luck!

• When getting a new puppy, you will need: * Food and water dishes* A cage or crate and/or dog bed* A collar and leash* Nametag and MicroChip http://www.homeagain.com/1_0.html* Toys, including chew toys* Shampoo and grooming supplies, the type will vary with the breed of puppy* Health care supplies including ear cleaner, dog toothbrush and toothpaste* 'Piddle pads' if you will be 'housetraining' your puppy indoors* Book(s) on puppy health care and behavior* VaccinationsBefore getting your puppy, find a veterinarian whom you will be willing to work with for the next 15 years. Make an appointment for your puppy's first exam prior to actually getting the puppy.FOOD: Drs. Foster & Smith Chicken & Brown Rice Puppy Food Formula $9.99 6 lb bag (Available at participating Target Stores)

• for food...i suggest you a pet food listed here-http://www.nzymes.com/pet_foods_we_recommend.htmor another holistic healthy pet foodmost are probably just a little bit more expensive but trust me, it's worth iti just found out about all this recently an am going to switch my cats' foodplease research a little bit about pet food if you truly love your petmost commercial brands are very bad for your dogex. animal by-products can include animal feet, beaks, noses, bones, tails, etc. :[which cause bad health problems for them later in life...toys, healthy treats, leash and collar with indenfication, food and water bowls, bags and scooper, crate for car rides, dental chews and dog toothbrush set, dog bedand don't forget a microchip!! they are only about $10-$25and in some places if your pet gets lost, the finder can legally microchip them with their informationhope that helped a littleand never leave your dog with any toy or even treat without you supervising her with it

• VetObedience classesLeash & collarlong runner leash for playcratebedblanketa few toysstainless steel food and water bowlsdoggy tooth brush & pastenail clipperscomb/brushOur pets need quality pet food. Read the ingredients list and learn what the stuff on there is and what it does (or does not do) to/for our pets. A quick pet food 101. If the pet food contains corn/corn products or by products it is a poor quality food. Corn is a filler that can trigger skin problems. (allergies, skin problems, itching and excessive shedding) By products is anything from an animal not fit for human consumption, including cancerous tissue. Do not pay attention to advertising, they all say there food is great. "Vet approved" means they have a vet on staff to approve their product. In other words, someone paid to approve it. Same with foods most vets recommend. Salesmen "gift" vets then the vet recommends the food. Most vets are not nutritionists! Quality foods have meat as the first ingredient. California Natural, Solid Gold, Innova and Merrick are a few of the best brands available. If you want to learn more check out: http://www.sagekeep.com/petfood.htm www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359& more=1 http://animalark.eapps.com/animal/PetFoods.nsf/$$PetFoodsByRating?OpenFormthe first thing to remember about housetraining a puppy is there ability to hold themselves is limited. a rule of thumb is they can hold "it" usually 1 hour for each month of age. 2 months old = 2 hours, 3 months old = 3 hours, etc. when your puppy wakes up (marning, nap, whatever) the pup has to go, right then! take the pup out. when the pup eats or drinks, it has to go, take the pup out. after exercise (play), take the pup out. when the pup does it's thing outside praise it. a lot. tell the pup how good, how smart it is. you have to pay attention to the pups "looking for it's spot" behavior. when you see that behavior indoors, whisk the pup out. if you catch the pup in the act, simply tell it "NO!" and whisk it outside. if you find a puddle or pile after the fact, clean it up with an enzyme cleaner (pet food store) get a newspaper and hit.... yourself in the head and say "i should have been paying more attention" daytime training they get pretty fast. night time training is easier if you crate train the pup. also remember the one hour/one month rule. you will have to get up through the night to take the pup out. good luck

• food/water bowlsleashcollarID tagmicrochipbrush & combnail trimmerstoothbrushpotty padscratedog bed or blanketbaby gatestoys (lots of 'em)home first aid kittravel first aid kita good veterinariana good groomera good boarding kennela good daycare

• $150 isn't going to get you very far with a new dog.You'll need aharness preferably or collarleashcrate (preferrably one that is metal and includes a divider so you can crate train it and it'll grow with the pup)dog bedfooddog bowl for food & waterdog toys$$ for city licensing fee$$ for series of puppy shots$$ for spay/neutering$$ for vaccinations yearly$$ routine yearly check up$$ for obedience trainingI prefer Innova Evo for my dogs www.naturapet.com