Painted turtle in need of new home in Minnesota area?

Approximately 3-5 yr old male painted turtle very healthy, his shell is flawless, loves to bask and chase feeder fish. The turtle alone for adoption including his canned super worms, canned shrimp and mixed pellet food is $30 but has to have a pre set up…

Approximately 3-5 yr old male painted turtle very healthy, his shell is flawless, loves to bask and chase feeder fish. The turtle alone for adoption including his canned super worms, canned shrimp and mixed pellet food is $30 but has to have a pre set up…...
    General Dog Discussions : Painted turtle in need of new home in Minnesota area?...

• Painted turtle in need of new home in Minnesota area?

Painted turtle in need of new home in Minnesota area? General Dog Discussions
      Approximately 3-5 yr old male painted turtle very healthy, his shell is flawless, loves to bask and chase feeder fish. The turtle alone for adoption including his canned super worms, canned shrimp and mixed pellet food is $30 but has to have a pre set up min 20 gallon tank, filter and basking area at new home. The other option is his current set up that includes 20 gallon tank, tank hood (lid), intank filter, basking ramp, basking light, gravel, canned food, pellet food, and current feeder fish for $100. If you are a first time turtle owner please research care and needs before contacting me. I am more then willing to help with any questions. A turtle is a good pet for a busy life style, as they do not need to be walked like a dog! I will include a care/feeding sheet for easy reference, all his food can be purchased at petco or petsmart feeder fish smalls comets are 13 cents each I purchase 20 at a time and that last him about 2 weeks then I purchase canned super meal worms and shrimp and feed that to him for the next 2 weeks every other day, I supplement him with pellet food but he rather prefers the good real food. I do not have current shell lenght or grams but can get this info if needed. He is a very fun little guy, he will eat super worms from your fingers!! His name is Shelldon and will almost always come up to see you when you walk by. He enjoys you "helping" him catch the feeder fish its a fun game he follows my finger on the glass to the fish!!!first off i did NOT offer him for sale, adoption is much diffrent. and i'm pretty sure i can ask whatever kind of question i would like. please go waist someone elses time i'm trying to find a good home for a turtle.Thank u for ur concern. as for his size he does very well in his 20 gallon tank he also has an outdoor pond in the summer. also the note saying turtles under 4 inches have samonilla that can be true but not in all cases the reason the sale of turtles under 4 inches is illegal is due to children placing the small turtles in there mouth directly more then a larger turtle. but any turtle any size or age can have the disease. he also is not a slider, tho similar they are not the same breed. this is a turtle i rescued not purchased from a petstore. so his food needs are diffrent then a captive breed/raised turtle. he will for the most part only eat natural foods. keep up the good work with urs sounds like u have been doing well to have them for so many years. :)

Painted turtle in need of new home in Minnesota area? General Dog Discussions
    • ...a 20 gallon is cruel for a 3 to 4 yr old turtle.Give this to who ever you give the turtle too.Good luck !http://www.flickr.com/photos/29035692@N03/sets/72157620975823702/here are some rescues sites..if ya need help..email me.Contact rescues sites…and vets ..in your city ,state, or countryFor land or aquatic turtles: http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.htmlAustinsturtlepage.com’ has all info on care and feeding RESCUING and PICTURES for all LAND and AQUATIC turtles.*** Ten gallons per inch of each turtle!! Sliders, westerns, eastern’s, cooter’s , midland, painted, map, yellow bellied ,are all are basically the same and require the same basic care. If you are sold a turtle under 4” then it is illegal and gives of a sickness called salmonella.They will bite VERY hard. Under 4" they carry a disease called 'salmonella'. So you should wash after every handling ANY size turtle or reptile anyway. ** EACH 4" turtle needs a 55 gallon tank to start anything would be cruel. Two turtles 75 to 100 gallons. ***And my pictures don't lie. All ages and all sizes get along as long as their is allot for SWIM ROOM and PLENTY TO EAT! TThey can become cannibalistic if you have 2 or more turtles and a small environment. They will kill off the smallest and then fight for the tank for themselves. Mine get along cause they have an abundance of food to eat...always. I buy 1000 plus fish a month plus the fruits and veggies.They NEED calcium and protein they get it from the fish meat and the fish bones. Drop 30 or 50 or so feeder guppies or small goldfish or in the tank and watch them disappear in a few days! Did you know that they need to bask under a reptile light UVA/UVB for up to 8 hrs a day for the vitamin D that they need to grow. TOSS in a bird cattle bone in the water for calcium that will promote better shell growth, it will dissolve real slowly and if they eat it that’s fine!!**Remember, you need a heater...set at 83 / 85 degrees. If water is cold they will stop eating!Plus I also feed dried cubed blood worms or tubiflex worms or pellets at least 5 times a week for my five..They can have garden worms which I collect after a good rain and dump them in the pond, also meal worms, snails, crickets, flies, crayfish small frogs, slugs, tadpoles, ghost shrimp , dragon flies and anything that moves, but only as a treat.They need leafy greens Romaine, Butter lettuce. (Iceberg and cabbage are bad for them, any other leafy greens will do) for vitamin A that they need at least 4 to 5 times a week.They love grapes and strawberries and squash , apples cut up.. drop in water a few pieces at a time.**** If these are hatchlings a 1” and a tad over they may need to have their live food half dead by leaving the fish out of water for a few minutes (10minutes) and put in the tank. That way the baby can get the meat he needs and the fish can’t out run the baby turtle.Plus ‘some leafy green’ and vitamin A ‘fruits’ cut up a COUPLE times a week.’ Swollen cloudy eyes comes from lack of Vitamin A. Which we all need for good eyes. These turtles in captivity do not. They cannot hear well and they feel you coming by the vibrations each foot step take, and by shadows they see.So they need a turtle basking dock.**Gravel larger than they can swallow, allot larger.Better no gravel at all, easier to clean.Their water needs to be clean otherwise the get sick easily from dirty water caused by their poop allot.You need a GREAT filter system depending on the tank in a 60 gallon my girls were in one year’s ago. I used two double sided marine or penguin filters…It really helped keep it cleaner! Size for basic aquatic turtle is approx Body length: 6-8" is average for males, up to 12 inches max for females, but average is about 9 to 10“ in captivity. Life span: 15-25+ year’s plus. Males have the longer front nails and are used in mating. Are considered mature at about 5 yrs old. You can’t start sexing till about 3” across. Real mating happens in May through June and hatchlings within 90 days. Eggs are laid in soil. If laid in water they will die. Mating dance happens all year long with my 5 !They sleep at the bottom of rivers, streams. lakes or ponds or your tank to avoid predators like coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, possums, raccoons and even some wide mouth bass and us humans.***Some sicknesses they get easily like shell Rot is actual holes rotting through the shell. **Respiratory sickness, lopsided swimming, coughing, vomiting, blowing bubbles from their nose. Treatment is 10 days of injections of Baytril (enrofloxacin) liquid into the front legs. To do this, you must consult a vet to get the antibiotic and the proper dosage. Do not guess on the dose.** Increase water to 85 degrees. Swollen or cloudy eyes due to lack of vitamin A fruits and veggies.Petco has drops.Fungus white cotton patches on their skin. Metabolic bone disease means an inadequate calcium a