does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota?

I have a 4yr old son has mental and physical disdisabilities and I am thinking about getting him a therapy dog to help out he has a total of 12 disdisabilities and some of them include....emotional behavior defdefiance disorder epilepsy bad eye sight…

does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota?

I have a 4yr old son has mental and physical disdisabilities and I am thinking about getting him a therapy dog to help out he has a total of 12 disdisabilities and some of them include....emotional behavior defdefiance disorder epilepsy bad eye sight…...
    General Dog Discussions : does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota?...

• does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota?

does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4yr old son has mental and physical disdisabilities and I am thinking about getting him a therapy dog to help out he has a total of 12 disdisabilities and some of them include....emotional behavior defdefiance disorder epilepsy bad eye sight global delay and so on. please help and i am also wouwonderingat kind of dog would best fit to help my son out. we live in an apt so there is a 35lbs weight restriction on the dog please help!!!

does anyone know what the criteria is for a service dog or therapy dog in the state of minnesota? General Dog Discussions
    • Therapy and service dogs are not the same thing. Therapy dogs are pets that visit places to bring joy to the occupants OR they can also be considered Emotional Support animals - neither have special rights as they are pets. Can they be helpful to the disabled? Yes. But they're mainly emotional support and are NOT trained to do anything specific.Service dogs are trained to do specific tasks for a disabled person - they are exempt from "no dog" rules in public AND housing. However you would have to go through a proper medical professional and/or a legit group dedicated to finding/training/obtaining/selling these dogs. Service dogs can be trained to help with epileptic seizures, for example. http://www.canineassistants.org/http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.3978475/k.3F1C/Canine_Companions_for_Independence.htmhttp://www.freedomservicedogs.org/If you go to google.com you can type in "service dogs (your city/state)" and you will find many more websites to check out.Please keep in mind that this dog will still need proper care - grooming, exercise, stimulation, etc etc. YOU will likely be the main handler. You will still need to pay for expenses (like vet care) - so if you aren't ready for the responsibility of a dog, it would be best to wait.