What are some ways to get a lazy beagle to exercise and get it healthy?

My dog's vet just said that my dog is inactive and in a year or so will die if she doesn't get more active and healthy. What should I do?

My dog's vet just said that my dog is inactive and in a year or so will die if she doesn't get more active and healthy. What should I do?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some ways to get a lazy beagle to exercise and get it healthy?...

• What are some ways to get a lazy beagle to exercise and get it healthy?

What are some ways to get a lazy beagle to exercise and get it healthy? General Dog Discussions
      My dog's vet just said that my dog is inactive and in a year or so will die if she doesn't get more active and healthy. What should I do?

What are some ways to get a lazy beagle to exercise and get it healthy? General Dog Discussions
    • Star out with walks around your house. Litterally. Walk around the outside of your house. Then gradually move farther out, down the street, around the block. Soon that dog will be asking to be walked. We had lazy beagle. All they need is incentive to move. If you sit, they sit.

• I agree with modelmaster2. Starting a walking program with your dog is probably your best bet. You might also try enrolling in a training program with your dog. They're a lot of fun. Buying one of those balls that drops treats when the dog moves the ball just right may get the dog's interest too. Good luck.

• Just like a person, you can't expect the dog to go a marathon at first. Find something it likes, a play toy, a ball, even a rope and give it short playtimes, building its endurance up. Overtime it will be able to play longer and may expand to walks. Most dogs will walk for a bit if you don't try to overdo it.

• Swimming!! try to teach your dog to swim- it is one of the best things she can do. not that long ago, i taught my pup to swim- at first i would throw him in but that kinda made him terrified of water so then i got my husband to help me- we would take him in the pool and pass him around; building his confidence. then i would do the dogie paddle and pretended to be a dog. as soon as i started doing that, he enjoyed swimming with me. my husband would hold him and as soon as he saw me dog paddle, he would jump out of my husbands arms and swim along side me. we then showed him where the steps were and how to get out of the pool and after that, he would jump in and get out by himself whenever he wanted. I also remember seeing that swimming was how they get really fat animals to thin down on tv. honestly, i taught my dog how to swim because hes pretty lazy too. he likes going out but hates walks and jogging. now for exercise he comes and does "laps" with me and my husband every other day or so. if your afraid of getting the pool dirty, bathe and brush your dog right before she goes in. we use our neighborhood pool and make sure that he and it stays clean for the sake of everyone else. afterward we make sure to give him a bathe. I just take him in the shower with me swim suit and all so that he feels confortable with water and doesnt mind showers- killing two birds with one stone ;)

• SOME DOGS ARE JUST BORN LAZY AS SOME OF US HUMANS ARE AS WELL. IF YOU HAVE A TREADMILL IN YOUR HOME PUT YOUR DOG TO WALK ON THAT. I HAVE YET TO COME IIN CONTACT WITH A DOG WHO DIDNT LIKE WALKING ON A TREADMILL. TAKE YOUR DOG TO A PARK THROW A BALL AROUND. TRY DIFFERENT THINGS UNTIL YOU IGNITE AN INTEREST IN YOUR DOG'S MIND.

• First, make sure she is of the proper weight. If the dog is overweight, she is not going to want to exercise. They make special dog foods for different needs of different dogs. Also, always keep plenty of fresh cool water on hand. Some dogs will play in a local dog park with other dogs. Also, catch her "being good" - if she is being active, say "Good run!" or whatever (always keep it the same word) and then immediately reward with half a dog biscuit or other favorite item. And praise. Maybe find a friend or neighbor with a dog and y'all go on leash walks together. Some dogs like to swim. That can burn a lot of calories. I once saw someone with a stick and a string attached, and the dog's favorite toy or dog biscuit dangling at the end of the string, held just out of reach in front of the dog on a leash, (i.e. "dangling the carrot from the stick"), and unbelievably, it worked!

• 1) Feed him only once a day, only the amount listed on the bag for his "normal" weight.2) Walk him & play with him. A lot of dogs like chasing flashlight beam, water from hose, or laser beam. This tires them out quickly without tiring you out.3) Not to be rude, but do you have a similar problem? If so, you could work together on that. I have pretty innactive dogs, too, so please don't take offense.

• We take our dogs to a dog park and let him run with the other dogs....my favorite saying is " A tired dog is a good dog!!Really, they have a blast with all the other dogs

• I would go with the first person, and get your dog to go on more walks, but not too far, just star with small walks and then when your dogs gets more active then take longer walks. I also agree with getting a puppy to pep the beagle up. that will really help

• Here is an easy solution. Get a chew toy preferably tough and put dog treats, peanut butter, or the beagles favorite food in it and give it to the beagle at first then start throwing to and/or hinding it. Also take the beagle for a walk at least twice a week to start with then gradually to once a day then maybe to twice a day. (GO SLOWLY TO GET THE BEAGLE INTO THE ROUTINE) Also start playing with the beagle like fetch or tough a war(DO NOT PULL TO HARD OR YOU MAY HURT THE BEAGLE)

• she needs to go on walks everyday and go to parks and have a healthy diet maybe you could also try obedience classes that will get her active and socialized. get some toys for her to play with. http://www.petedge.com/