How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor?

I have a 4 1/2 month old American Staffie and I would love him to be a blood donor for other dogs who might need his help. (Such as a dog who gets hit by a car and need surgery) I don't know how to get him started and I want to start young so he gets…

How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor?

I have a 4 1/2 month old American Staffie and I would love him to be a blood donor for other dogs who might need his help. (Such as a dog who gets hit by a car and need surgery) I don't know how to get him started and I want to start young so he gets…...
    General Dog Discussions : How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor?...

• How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor?

How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4 1/2 month old American Staffie and I would love him to be a blood donor for other dogs who might need his help. (Such as a dog who gets hit by a car and need surgery) I don't know how to get him started and I want to start young so he gets used to it!

How old does my dog have to be to donate blood? And how to make him a blood donor? General Dog Discussions
    • MAN leave that poor Dog alone man!!! i know your thinking in terms Well if i were a dog id donate well hes not.............................U!!!Sometimes i thaink were just as bad as Micheal Vick c'mon man castration blood donation all because thet VET said it was koo MAN PLEASE

• try and get a squirrel to run on a treadmill and enjoy it.You can't make a dog love the vets in anyway, it's just something you need to do by choice unfortunately. Dogs won't ever be willing to have the mysterious sharp object taking blood from them, hahaBut he might get used to getting into the car? getting him used to the procedure... ummmmm, not so much luck there

• I've volunteered at a blood donor clinc as part of my schooling and in order for a dog to be able to donate blood they have to be on a heartworm preventative, up to date on their vaccinations and be over 50lbs. But it's a good idea to ask your vet's advice.Add: As for how to make him a blood donor, it depends on what area you live in, vet clinics will sometimes have phamplets with more info or just ask your vet he/she will know.