How exactly does dentabone clean a dog's teeth? Or greenies?

I just wonder how something that isn't really that hard and crumbles and is made with wheat can clean a dog's teeth? Although pedigree likes to claim it removes plaque, where is the science to back it up?

I just wonder how something that isn't really that hard and crumbles and is made with wheat can clean a dog's teeth? Although pedigree likes to claim it removes plaque, where is the science to back it up?...
    General Dog Discussions : How exactly does dentabone clean a dog's teeth? Or greenies?...

• How exactly does dentabone clean a dog's teeth? Or greenies?

How exactly does dentabone clean a dog's teeth? Or greenies? General Dog Discussions
      I just wonder how something that isn't really that hard and crumbles and is made with wheat can clean a dog's teeth? Although pedigree likes to claim it removes plaque, where is the science to back it up?

How exactly does dentabone clean a dog's teeth? Or greenies? General Dog Discussions
    • They have to chew it quite hard, so it gets their teeth working. The dentistick goes in between the teeth, airgo removing plaque.and plus, they love 'em!

• They don't really remove plaque. By my recollection they say they "reduce" plaque/tartar, not "remove" plaque/tartar. Once tartar forms it requires some serious force to remove, usually an abrasive or scraper used by a vet. They more prevent the accumulation of new plaque and tartar by removing the biofilm that creates plaque. The crunching/crumbling of the bones allows the dogs teeth to sink into a somewhat firm/crunchy material which is (arguably) enough to scrape away the biofilm. The same thing happens by eating normal dry dog food which is why you'll only see plaque along the gum lines where their teeth don't go into the material enough to clean that part. Dentabones are a bit more effective than normal dry food since they've been designed to be abrasive and therefore more effective at reducing the biofilm. I've found that real raw bones are far more effective than dentabones or greenies. They are actually hard enough to have a noticeable affect and a lot of dogs don't really chew the dentabones or especially the greenies all that much, just enough to swallow it.