Is it normal for large breed dogs to lose weight after weaning?

If so, how much weight and in what time frame?I meant the puppy losing weight after weaning, not the mother ; )Also, I can not take the puppy to the vet, the puppy is 2000 miles away from me right now. This is a puppy I am interested in getting.

If so, how much weight and in what time frame?I meant the puppy losing weight after weaning, not the mother ; )Also, I can not take the puppy to the vet, the puppy is 2000 miles away from me right now. This is a puppy I am interested in getting....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for large breed dogs to lose weight after weaning?...

• Is it normal for large breed dogs to lose weight after weaning?

Is it normal for large breed dogs to lose weight after weaning? General Dog Discussions
      If so, how much weight and in what time frame?I meant the puppy losing weight after weaning, not the mother ; )Also, I can not take the puppy to the vet, the puppy is 2000 miles away from me right now. This is a puppy I am interested in getting.

Is it normal for large breed dogs to lose weight after weaning? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, it burns a lot of calories for any female. It all depends on the individual dog to the amount. If you are worried, take to the vet for professional opinion.Then talk to the vet treating the pups & mother dog. I wouldn't buy a pup I had any concerns with regarding health esp. if I couldn't see dog in person. I don't know of any pups losing any significant weight. You didn't give hardly any details so can't really judge.

• While a female is still nursing they can easily drop weight if you're not providing her with the necessary calories to support her and the pups' nutritional needs. But, after weaning, she shouldn't be dropping weight since she is no longer having to produce milk for those hungry babies. Might be a good idea to get her to the vet for a routine physical just to make sure she's in good health. Then just go back to feeding her on a regular schedule with a good quality dog food.ADD: Saw your later post. Yes, puppies often lose a little weight (not excessive amounts), because they are growing like crazy and it's difficult to keep up with the growth and their boundless energy which burns lots of calories. And, certain large breeds such as the Greyhound, Great Dane, etc. can look a little lean and lanky at around six months or so. However, if you're buying from a reputable breeder, she should be familiar enough with her breed to know how much food and nutrients they need to maintain a healthy weight. The dog could have worms, or it could be that the breeder is just not feeding the dog adequate amounts. If you haven't, be sure to visit her breeding facility, home, kennel, etc. and view all the dogs. If they're all in poor condition or the facility looks bad - steer clear of her dogs!