How much food do I give my dog?

I have two dogs. One which weighs 70 lbs and the other weighs 20 lbs. I looked at the bag to see how much to feed them and it says 3 cups for the 70 lbs dog and 1 cup for the 20 lbs dog. Looking at the food in there dish seems like way to much food for…

I have two dogs. One which weighs 70 lbs and the other weighs 20 lbs. I looked at the bag to see how much to feed them and it says 3 cups for the 70 lbs dog and 1 cup for the 20 lbs dog. Looking at the food in there dish seems like way to much food for…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much food do I give my dog?...

• How much food do I give my dog?

How much food do I give my dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have two dogs. One which weighs 70 lbs and the other weighs 20 lbs. I looked at the bag to see how much to feed them and it says 3 cups for the 70 lbs dog and 1 cup for the 20 lbs dog. Looking at the food in there dish seems like way to much food for them and I am afraid that they will become obese if I feed them that much twice a day on a daily basis.

How much food do I give my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • The feeding amounts on the bags are for the whole, daily amount. If it said 3 cups, then you'd give 1 1/2 cups am ad 1 1/2 cups pm. Just remember that the amount on the bag is for the whole day.Food companies list the guides as a start. Remember that there are working and hunting dogs out there that actually could use that amount of food. Most dogs, though, don't need as much as is listed on the bag.If you'll look on your paperwork from your last vet visit, they should have listed how much your dogs should weigh. You would want to use that number when looking up the right amount to feed. You can also ask your vet whether your dogs are at the right weight now. A good technician can talk to you without having to make an appointment. She can also look at your dogs and tel you whether they are at the right weight.My lab is 56 pounds (lab mix) and he eats 2 cups of food a day, because I have to compensate for his stuffed kongs that keep him busy when we are away from the house.Most people overfeed their dogs. You are on the right track to question. Every dog is an individual and burns calories differently, depending on breed, whether they are neutered, the age and activity level.