7 month old german shepherd not eatting what should i do?

I think my dog ate some old corn that was for my birds. Now she does not want to eat, she still drinks water. She had diaheria this morring and she puked once. She still very playful but mostly just lays around. What can i give her to make her want to…

I think my dog ate some old corn that was for my birds. Now she does not want to eat, she still drinks water. She had diaheria this morring and she puked once. She still very playful but mostly just lays around. What can i give her to make her want to…...
    General Dog Discussions : 7 month old german shepherd not eatting what should i do?...

• 7 month old german shepherd not eatting what should i do?

7 month old german shepherd not eatting what should i do? General Dog Discussions
      I think my dog ate some old corn that was for my birds. Now she does not want to eat, she still drinks water. She had diaheria this morring and she puked once. She still very playful but mostly just lays around. What can i give her to make her want to eat again?

7 month old german shepherd not eatting what should i do? General Dog Discussions
    • She probably feels sick and doesn't want to eat. Don't force her; she'll eat when she's hungry. Try offering her some boiled chicken and plain rice to help settle her stomach. Make sure she keeps drinking as diarrhoea can cause dehydration. If the diarrhoea and vomiting continue, she needs to see a vet.

• You didn't mention how long it had been since she ate the corn. If her signs are about 3 days after ingestion she could have pancreatitis but that would be surprising since corn is not fatty and she is so young. So assuming this is a mild dietary indiscretion here is what you can try. Don't feed her until she has not vomited for 8-12 hours, her stomach needs to rest or the vomiting will continue. During this time, do not offer water either. If she does not stop vomiting within 24 hours of the first episode or if the diarrhea is severe, she needs to see her vet quickly. If you can't get her in to your vet, take her to an emergency facility instead. If the vomiting stops you can introduce a bland diet: boiled chicken and rice works very well and they like it- mix it 1 part chicken to 2 parts rice and use no seasoning. Feed her 1-2 tablespoons and if she holds it down, you can repeat again in 2 hours. Gradually increase the amount you feed and the time between feedings until she is eating a normal amount of food. If at any time she starts vomiting again, you should start at the beginning and call your vet. At this point you can gradually start adding her normal diet and reducing the bland diet until she is back on her food100%- take about 3 days to do this. The diarrhea should begin to improve in a day or so and be resolved before you start adding her food. If it doesn't she needs to see your vet. A final note: the corn may be coincidental, a foreign object could cause an obstruction- maybe even a large amount of swollen corn could get stuck, there are viruses that cause the symptoms you describe as well certain types of bacteria in the gut that do not belong, protozoan parasites, regular parasites and the list goes on. Also if the corn was moldy it could be toxic- another reason to see your vet. Puppies can go downhill quickly don't delay treatment if this fails to help, but as long as she stays active and improves on the bland diet, I'd be comfortable trying this simple home remedy. I have been a vet tech for 20+ years and I work at an emergency and critical care facility. These are the same post vomiting instructions we give our owners to follow and exactly what I would do for my own dog. Best of luck!

• Corn can be hard to digest so don't be surprised if your dog tries to eat grass to help expel the corn.I would suggest canned pumpkin and chicken- this always works for diaherra- mix it with some of your puppy's usual hard food. If you puppy doesn't eat it within 20 minutes remove the food bowl. Your puppy will eat when its hungry but laying food around all day does not help the situation.good luck!