Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel?

She is a Beagle weighing about 25-30 pounds. She is not put in the kennel's very often and when she is put in the kennel it is only for about 2-3 days. Just a few years ago the Vet gave her the Bordetella Vaccine sometime before she was put in the kennel…

Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel?

She is a Beagle weighing about 25-30 pounds. She is not put in the kennel's very often and when she is put in the kennel it is only for about 2-3 days. Just a few years ago the Vet gave her the Bordetella Vaccine sometime before she was put in the kennel…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel?...

• Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel?

Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel? General Dog Discussions
      She is a Beagle weighing about 25-30 pounds. She is not put in the kennel's very often and when she is put in the kennel it is only for about 2-3 days. Just a few years ago the Vet gave her the Bordetella Vaccine sometime before she was put in the kennel and she developed a bad case of diarrhea when she was in the kennel. She will only be there for about 2-3 days this time which was how long she had been their when she got sick.

Would it be harmful to my dog if she got a bordetella vaccine a week or two after being at the kennel? General Dog Discussions
    • No it would not be harmful for her to get it in fact i encourage it!If your dog is going to be staying at the kennel she should be protected!I would probably give it to her two to three weeks BEFORE then kennel.Not after because she could catch something while there (thats why she would get the shot to prevent it).

• I suspect that there was no connection at all between your dog having been vaccinated for Bordetella prior to having been boarded and getting diarrhea while there. Dogs not infrequently will develop diarrhea as a result of stress, and being at the kennel and away from their home is very stressful. Also, if you did not take her regular food with her when you kenneled her, she most likely got an abrupt food switch, which can also result in diarrhea.I am assuming you are asking about vaccinating her BEFORE you kennel her... yes? If the kennel requires this, I would try to have it done at least a couple of weeks before. Vaccinations can be hard on the immune system, and stress can also be hard on the immune system... I would want to space those two stressors apart by some weeks if I could.

• Getting a Bordetella vaccine AFTER she is in the kennel will not harm her. It will also not protect her. The Bordetella virus is a kennel cough.If the vaccination was more than a week prior to being at the kennel, then her diarrhea has nothing to do with the vaccine. Either you didn't send her own food with her, or they didn't give it, or she was very stressed.