What is it called when dogs eat their own waste?

I am studying to be a be a vet student and I need to identify this term in the kennel. I am sure it starts with a C, but still unsure of the exact term.

I am studying to be a be a vet student and I need to identify this term in the kennel. I am sure it starts with a C, but still unsure of the exact term....
    General Dog Discussions : What is it called when dogs eat their own waste?...

• What is it called when dogs eat their own waste?

What is it called when dogs eat their own waste? General Dog Discussions
      I am studying to be a be a vet student and I need to identify this term in the kennel. I am sure it starts with a C, but still unsure of the exact term.

What is it called when dogs eat their own waste? General Dog Discussions
    • CAUSES OF COPROPHAGYThe exact causes of the habit are unknown, but several ones have been described. There appears to be some connection between excessive coprophagy and nutritional deficiencies, stress, boredom, unsanitary rearing conditions, and restrictive housing. Overly restrictive or isolatory confinement has been linked to a higher incidence of coprophagy in dogs. Dogs kept in kennels or basements are more likely to engage in the habit than dogs kept in close contact with people. Eating non-food materials (pica) has also been reported similarly increased among dogs housed under restrictive conditions, suggesting that both coprophagy and pica may be influenced by environmental stress.A common assumption holds that coprophagy is related to some sort of nutritional problem or deficiency. The theories generally focus on one of two possibilities: (1) coprophagy is a search for nutrients lacking in a dog's diet or (2) the habit is motivated to consume undigested nutrients passed into the feces. Vitamin B12 and other B-complex vitamin deficiencies have been frequently implicated.In one study, rapid control of coprophagy was achieved by increasing the ration's protein and fat content, reducing the amount of carbohydrates, and supplementing with brewer's yeast. Another obvious nutritional possibility to consider, and one perhaps more directly linked with a nutritional function, is that coprophagous dogs may simply be harvesting undigested food passed in the feces.Enzyme ConservationBesides undigested food and other nutrients, feces is a rich source of digestive enzymes and bacteria. Whether or not the ingestion of alimentary bacteria is of benefit to dogs is not known, but some evidence suggests that digestive enzymes may play a role in the control of coprophagy. Many veterinarians and dog trainers report anecdotal success when a meat tenderizer containing papain (a proteolytic enzyme) is added to the coprophagous dog's diet. In one study 4 of the 9 dogs treated with a plant-based enzyme supplement responded favorably to the therapy.http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/coprophagy-stool-eating.aspx