How do I help an anxiety ridden dog?

My dog has terrible anxiety issues. I see the vet on the 22nd to talk about it. What are some natural/healthy ways to help her that I can do at home? I hate to see her go on medication.

My dog has terrible anxiety issues. I see the vet on the 22nd to talk about it. What are some natural/healthy ways to help her that I can do at home? I hate to see her go on medication....
    General Dog Discussions : How do I help an anxiety ridden dog?...

• How do I help an anxiety ridden dog?

How do I help an anxiety ridden dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has terrible anxiety issues. I see the vet on the 22nd to talk about it. What are some natural/healthy ways to help her that I can do at home? I hate to see her go on medication.

How do I help an anxiety ridden dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Get another dog! My dog has HORRIBLE anxiety...around other dogs she is completely normal other than that there are some "calming aids" I've personally never used them but you could check them out...http://www.dog.com/health/calming-aids/1475/If you can't get another dog putting her on medication may be your only option.Good luck!

• If you want to avoid behavioral medications, I have seen some small improvement for dogs and cats with the use of Bach's Rescue Remedy; this in no way compares to the effectiveness of prescription behavioral medications, however, but depending on the severity of your dog's anxiety and your dog's personality, it may be enough to help through retraining/resocializing. I'd also recommend meeting with a trainer, even if for just a session or two, so that they can give you solid tools to build your dog's confidence and relieve her anxiety.I know there is a stigma associated with behavioral medications, but I've seen a lot of animals go on behavioral meds and seem to be the same animal, just calmer and more well adjusted. I've put all three of my cats on them at one point or another to bring peace to my household, and they are the same animals, just happier.

• Crate training is a great way to help with anxiety. Buy a crate for your dog. A crate offers a sense of safety for your dog. Look into crate training, so that when you aren't home or when your dog is anxious they will find comfort in their crate.Find a toy that will go in the crate with your dog, a kong with a nice frozen treat inside will keep your dog occupied instead of panicking.Keep greetings short. When you are leaving or coming do not make it a big deal. That will only make it harder on your dog when you leave. If you keep it to a minimum then your dog won't see it as a big deal when you leave.Look into the thundershirt. There are many cases where it has worked and offered a sense of comfort to anxious dogs. I've used them as well and they do work as long as the dog can associate it with good things.Exercise to get your dog nice and tired so they don't really have anxiety. Nice runs or playing with a frisbee and ball.Natural Calming tablets, rather than strong medication. There is calming tablets that have natural ingredients to calm a dog.Music, there is music pretty much classic music that can possibly work to soothe your dog asleep.