what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop?

they are both chihuahua's and house broken. they sleep with us Everetteht and are constantly near us. one is 2 and the other is 1. they both have seperation anxiety. especially the older girl.

what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop?

they are both chihuahua's and house broken. they sleep with us Everetteht and are constantly near us. one is 2 and the other is 1. they both have seperation anxiety. especially the older girl....
    General Dog Discussions : what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop?

what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop? General Dog Discussions
      they are both chihuahua's and house broken. they sleep with us Everetteht and are constantly near us. one is 2 and the other is 1. they both have seperation anxiety. especially the older girl.

what causes dogs to potty on thier owners beds, what can i do to make them stop? General Dog Discussions
    • Housebreak them.Don't allow them on your bed; aren't you afraid of crushing them?!I suggest crating them and putting the crate on the nightstand so they can see you and they are right by you, but they are not on your bed... and if they do pee, they have to sleep in it. I'll bet they learn to "hold it" till morning...Make sure the crate is just big enough for them to lie down.

• I don't have enough details to completely give you advice. What's happening when the dogs do this? Are you leaving the house and you get a "surprise" when you're back? How often are you letting them out? How much time goes by between potty breaks? Are you exercising them enough? Also, I don't have enough info about the separation anxiety. That being said, if this is happening when you're out of the house for an extended period of time, make sure you bring them for a Chihuahua-sized good walk before you go. That's first. Some other suggestions are: 1. buying on or two of the fake grass potty pads that were on the infomercials may (now sold in PetSmart, I believe). You will need to put a little poopy on them to give it the dog's scent. You may need to increase the frequency of potty breaks. I don't know how long this has been happening, but you may want to bring the dogs to the vet just to rule out any physical reason for this. But try some of the other things first.Without knowing the whole history of the sepation anxiety, you may be able to ease it by desensitizing the dogs to your routine before leaving the house. To practice this, you put on your coat, grab your cell, purse, keys, etc like you are leaving the house for a while. Don't make a big deal out of leaving. No emotion. No, "Bye, Babies! I love you!" etc Just leave the house. Stay outside for 5 seconds, and go back in the house. Put everything where it goes like your home for a while, take your coat off etc. Don't make a big production about this either. No emotion. Wait 5 seconds, and put your coat on, grap your purse, cell phone and keys, and go outside again. Wait five seconds, go back in, no emotion, take your coat off, put your stuff down etc. If you practice this enough (maybe 5 minutes 2x a day), you should start to notice a positive response because they are learning that you will come back. You could also see if there are certified dog trainers in your area that are affordable and have them help you with this. Good luck!