What are the signs of stomach ulcers in dogs?

My BF has a 14 year old German Shepherd mix, and he started walking funny this week, then vomiting a couple times. Today, he had a seizure, and has black stools. His hematocrit is VERY low, and they are transfusing him right now. What does all this…

My BF has a 14 year old German Shepherd mix, and he started walking funny this week, then vomiting a couple times. Today, he had a seizure, and has black stools. His hematocrit is VERY low, and they are transfusing him right now. What does all this…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the signs of stomach ulcers in dogs?...

• What are the signs of stomach ulcers in dogs?

What are the signs of stomach ulcers in dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My BF has a 14 year old German Shepherd mix, and he started walking funny this week, then vomiting a couple times. Today, he had a seizure, and has black stools. His hematocrit is VERY low, and they are transfusing him right now. What does all this sound like? He has been very healthy until this? X-rays and ultrasound show nithing. All other labs are normal.What might his prognosis be? Even if he does have an ulcer? What can be done for a 14 year old dog?

What are the signs of stomach ulcers in dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • I dont know, With the x-rays showing nothing and at his age 14 is getting up there for a Shepherd...My first thought was a bowel obstruction,The Black stool means Gut blood I feel like its a Twisted intestine or something..Its just a hunch but Kidney fuction would have shown up on tests...I would think they would see the Stomach on x-ray...I got a feeling a peice of intestine is hidden from veiw and I hope they can fix it...I'm gonna add this to my Watch list .So I can see What he has..I hope he makes it!!!!

• # What to Watch For# Vomiting, with or without blood# Melena, black, tarry stool that contains digested blood# Abdominal pain# Lack of appetite# Pale gums# Weakness# Collapse# Shock# Sudden deathDiagnosisVarious tests are necessary to determine if an ulcer is present and the effects of the ulcer on the body. Tests may include:# A complete blood cell count (CBC), biochemical profile, and urinalysis should be performed in all cases.# Screening abdominal radiographs, although often within normal limits, may support the diagnosis of an ulcer secondary to a mass or foreign body.# Abdominal ultrasound may detect associated masses or changes associated with ulceration, however the test generally does not identify gastrointestinal ulceration itself.# A contrast upper GI study with barium may identify ulcers.# Gastroduodenal endoscopy is the most definitive means of diagnosing gastrointestinal ulceration.******************************************************************My dog got very sick this past summer - went to pet emergency room and then to her own vet. I was frantic to figure out what was wrong with her - I came upon this story online about a dog with stomach ulcers. I thought you might want to read this.http://www.bowwowbakery.com/Ulcersindogs.htm