Suggestions on how to teach a dog to get along better with cats?

Our dog likes to chase our cats and growls at them. We now have a new kitten, too. Any suggestions as to how we might encourage them to get along better?

Our dog likes to chase our cats and growls at them. We now have a new kitten, too. Any suggestions as to how we might encourage them to get along better?...
    Other Pet Discussions : Suggestions on how to teach a dog to get along better with cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestions on how to teach a dog to get along better with cats?

Suggestions on how to teach a dog to get along better with cats? Other Pet Discussions
      Our dog likes to chase our cats and growls at them. We now have a new kitten, too. Any suggestions as to how we might encourage them to get along better?

Suggestions on how to teach a dog to get along better with cats? Other Pet Discussions
    • I hope that your dog can understand basic commands. If your dog can understand sit or stay, spend a few hours with the dog and cats both in the room and make a conscious effort to restrain the dog and reiterate the "stay" every time it looks like he gets the urge to chase them. If not, they might just have to coexist together. I had the same problem and I've become very fond of a baby gate (can find at target, not expensive). Put it in a low traffic doorway in your house and let the dog and cats stay in the same room. If the cat feels threatened, they can usually make it over the baby gate with minimal effort, I have never seen a dog big or small try to jump over the baby gate, there are afraid of it!

• well keep them together most of the times, just when the dog wants to do something to the cat tell the dog from right and wrong. its just like telling a little kid whats wrong and right you have to train the dog. it mite take time but hey it worked with my pets.

• I would like to know the same answer...I have a Bichon Frise dog and Hymalyian cat...The cat would play but the dog wants to bite at him.Only the dog thinks shes playing.We get the paper after the dog when she does this,but its hard to make Bella (dog) understand, Betternot (cat) don't like being bit...How can we make her understand??