How much light do guppies need or prefer?

I keep my guppies in the kitchen, but it's dark in there. They don't show any problems from being kept in the dark all day, but they really perk up when I come home and turn the lights on. A lot of fish don't do well with direct light, but should I leave…

I keep my guppies in the kitchen, but it's dark in there. They don't show any problems from being kept in the dark all day, but they really perk up when I come home and turn the lights on. A lot of fish don't do well with direct light, but should I leave…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How much light do guppies need or prefer?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much light do guppies need or prefer?

How much light do guppies need or prefer? Other Pet Discussions
      I keep my guppies in the kitchen, but it's dark in there. They don't show any problems from being kept in the dark all day, but they really perk up when I come home and turn the lights on. A lot of fish don't do well with direct light, but should I leave the lights on while I'm at work? I'd prefer not to waste electricity, but if it keeps my guppies happy... Your thoughts, please.

How much light do guppies need or prefer? Other Pet Discussions
    • You should have a flurocent tube made for aquariums above your fish tank. you can buy lids with those built in at any pet store. Leave it on for about 10 hours and then off for about 14, this will not only give your fish proper light but will promote healthy algae growth (algae is neccesary to keep good water ph and balance minerals)

• Guppies will do fine with just a few hours of light.I suggest a simple $8.00 timer. Have the lights come on a few hours before you arrive home so you can enjoy them and they can get 6 hors of so of light.They should have some access to light for full color development and optimal health. While keeping them in near total darkness would not harm them, they would be less likely to breed and show off pretty colors.