How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"?

I am constantly plagued with having neighborhood dogs coming into my yard and killing my lawn. Isn't there a law against letting dogs roam freely? I am NOT a dog-hater. I have one myself, but he is not allowed to roam wherever he wants in the…

How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"?

I am constantly plagued with having neighborhood dogs coming into my yard and killing my lawn. Isn't there a law against letting dogs roam freely? I am NOT a dog-hater. I have one myself, but he is not allowed to roam wherever he wants in the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"?...

• How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"?

How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"? Other Pet Discussions
      I am constantly plagued with having neighborhood dogs coming into my yard and killing my lawn. Isn't there a law against letting dogs roam freely? I am NOT a dog-hater. I have one myself, but he is not allowed to roam wherever he wants in the neighborhood. And if he is outside with me, he is on a leash. What do I do? Do I confront the dog's owner (thereby alienating them and creating an enemy)? Should I call the dog catcher and let THEM deal with the owners? Do I involve the police (considering that it could be negligence on the owners' behalf?I have a very large yard and the expense to fence it in is just too much to have to pay for. Besides, why should I have pay for a fence when the owners should just be controlling their dogs?

How do I get my neighbors to stop letting their dogs into my yard to do its "business"? Other Pet Discussions
    • Speak to the owner's of the dogs in a non-confrontational way, or just send them a copy of this question. Responsible dog owners such as yourself need not put up with the lax of training from others pets. Good Luck.

• There are sprays available on the market that act as repellent to cats and dogs. They use natural oils that make it unpleasant for them while sniffing around and are non-toxic and biodegradable.Just spray them in the areas where you don't want the dogs... just don't use it where you take your own dog.You should be able to find them at online retailers (search for "dog repellent") and\or at a garden center or hardware store.

• Dont call the catcher... Simply give your neighbors hell about it, everytime they let the dog out, call them repetedly, or go over their and riem them out! worked for me,.

• It is against the law. Let the law enforcers (we pay them to do just that) do their job - report it. You do not need friends - even neighbors - who are breaking the law. Laws make us civilized. If we do not obey them, what then are we?

• This type of thing happened on Judge Judy. The neighbor put up a fence- the dogs broke through it. this happened over and over again. i believe the person who was having the problamo with the dogs had the case go in his favor. but i cant remember.My advice is to 1. keep confronting the neighbor once you become some what of a nuisance to them they may fix the problem.2. catch the dog and bring it on a leash to your neighbor.3. Build a fence.Good Luck!!!~mary

• You should NOT have to put up a fence. Maybe a No Trespassing sign to start with. Then when an offense occurs, kindly warn the owner of the violation, and that the next time the authorities will be involved. It is their responsibility to control the animal. Depending on where you live, the may be certain laws that can be to your benefit. If there is a leash law, the owner will be fined. That should do the trick. And if that is the case do not warn the owner, just call it in.

• Politely mention to your neighbours the problem.Fencing it's a good option but you shouldn't be obligated to do so to keep other people's dogs of your property.Shooting the dogs is not an option, it is not the dogs fault and it is against the law.This is going to sound crazy....but..I have read somewhere that a bottle of pop ( the clear ones) filled with water and left lying in strategic points around your garden i.e. between both properties will deter the dogs visiting your lawn.I haven't tried myself but I have seen bottles in people's gardens.Hope this will help you solve your problem.

• I was going to say fence because dogs from my nieborhood did this but we had a fence put up and now it is only our dog but if you refuse to put a fence up then well tough luck and i have hope for you. some of the dogs maybe strays, so try not to blame every one

• catch the wandering dog. put it in a crate give it food and water and charge the owners for boarding their animals. $20.00 per day is a good fee. if the dog is still at your house by 5pm call animal control to pick it up as a stray found on your property. I have found this works well for me dealing with animals at large.

• Try putting up a sign that says This Lawn is for Children to play on, NOT DOGS. You could also try putting up a simple fence of a few white stakes and some plastic chain.