How often should I have my long haired chihuahuas coat trimmed?

My chihuahua is now 8. Months old with him been long haired im just wondering if I should have his coat. Trimmed regularly ?

My chihuahua is now 8. Months old with him been long haired im just wondering if I should have his coat. Trimmed regularly ?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How often should I have my long haired chihuahuas coat trimmed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How often should I have my long haired chihuahuas coat trimmed?

How often should I have my long haired chihuahuas coat trimmed? Other Pet Discussions
      My chihuahua is now 8. Months old with him been long haired im just wondering if I should have his coat. Trimmed regularly ?

How often should I have my long haired chihuahuas coat trimmed? Other Pet Discussions
    • I really like dogs left in their natural state, with one or two exceptions.When a dog has a double coat (undercoat and long guard hairs) I always think it pays to not trim them. They have developed like that to suit the climate in which they naturally occur. So I don't know much about Mexico, but I think it is quite a hot country and possibly cold at night.The double coat will insulate the dog from either heat or cold. If it needs to do both, then it will shed to form a coat best suited to the weather. You will probably find the long haired chihuahua doesn't shed as much as the short haired one - just my experience of long haired dogs versus short.If you decide to clip your dog, you'll need to support it by either clothing it in winter/night or keeping it out of the sun with plenty of cool water and air.You can always just trim around the feet and ears etc. Remember trimming is an expensive thing to keep up.

• I've never heard of anyone trimming their long-coated Chihuahua. Just regular brushing and bathing. Why would you do that? There are some long coated breeds that you don't ever "trim"!If you wanted a short coat, why didn't you get a smooth-coated Chihuahua???

• You don't need to trim a long haired Chihuahua's coat. They are easy to groom as their coats are not super thick.Just comb and brush a few times a week. If you mean you want to trim the feet or even out the coat a bit,etc,to make him look neat, then sure, go ahead.