How long are veterinarians allowed to keep the ashes from a pet?

About three years ago my dog died and I had him cremated. Unfortunately, I did not go to get his ashes and this bothers me. I moved from that town due to sad memories and now I wish I had thought about going to get my dog's ashes before I moved. Are…

About three years ago my dog died and I had him cremated. Unfortunately, I did not go to get his ashes and this bothers me. I moved from that town due to sad memories and now I wish I had thought about going to get my dog's ashes before I moved. Are…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How long are veterinarians allowed to keep the ashes from a pet?...

• How long are veterinarians allowed to keep the ashes from a pet?

How long are veterinarians allowed to keep the ashes from a pet? Other Pet Discussions
      About three years ago my dog died and I had him cremated. Unfortunately, I did not go to get his ashes and this bothers me. I moved from that town due to sad memories and now I wish I had thought about going to get my dog's ashes before I moved. Are these clinics allowed to keep the ashes for indefinite time or what? Should I contact them to see if they still have them or should I give up?

How long are veterinarians allowed to keep the ashes from a pet? Other Pet Discussions
    • I guess it is possible that they may have disposed of them, but where I work would never do that no matter how long. I suggest you call because it has been so long they would probably never call you at this point even if they have them still-can you imagine how akward that would be for THEM to call YOU at this point? We have some at our hospital that have been there for at least a year that I know of. I hope it works out for you

• Well me and the other vets in Taunton area keep the ashes for about 1 month and then give the ashes to the owner to put somewhere or if the owner chooses the ashes to be sprinkled in the chosen spot that will happen too.But if the ashes are left for more than a month then they will be sprinkled in a nearbye park or in my surgerys case i will sprinkle them in the surgery garden.But in the USA and other counties in the UK i'm not too sure but you should try calling them just incase.