What is a typical adoption fee for a cat at an animal shelter?

I have never adopted from a shelter befor. I am probably going to stop a the shelter tomorow to find a kitten to take home. What do the shelters usualy charge to adopt? Also, has any one har a good or bad experience with adopting a cat/ kitten from a…

I have never adopted from a shelter befor. I am probably going to stop a the shelter tomorow to find a kitten to take home. What do the shelters usualy charge to adopt? Also, has any one har a good or bad experience with adopting a cat/ kitten from a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is a typical adoption fee for a cat at an animal shelter?...

• What is a typical adoption fee for a cat at an animal shelter?

What is a typical adoption fee for a cat at an animal shelter? Other Pet Discussions
      I have never adopted from a shelter befor. I am probably going to stop a the shelter tomorow to find a kitten to take home. What do the shelters usualy charge to adopt? Also, has any one har a good or bad experience with adopting a cat/ kitten from a shelter instead of a breeder or pet store? Are the animals usualy healthy and well socialized with people?

What is a typical adoption fee for a cat at an animal shelter? Other Pet Discussions
    • well ive adopted dogs from a shelter and those range from$50-70idk about cats but i would guesstimate around there. it may also depend in the area.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoAOZhv67nLDztlLFjFAv9fsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20091221094826AAHGAa2

• Never buy from a pet store, the mother and father of that cute kitten are living a hellish life. If you buy from a responsible breeder who shows cats, every litter has a few that are pet not show quality, that is okay. Adopting from a shelter is a good idea, the shelter I volunteer at spends time with each cat. The fee for a cat is 90, but the cat has been fixed, vaccinated, and chipped.

• umm..well ive never adopted but price depends on the shelter youre adopting from and the condition the animal is now (old cats are usually cheaper than kittens) animals that had to have a lot of things done at the vet are usually more expensive...im not sure about the behavior of adopted animals because again, ive never adopted, but im pretty sure they haveto go through a behavioral test first to make sure theyre adoptable...i hope this helps! animals are great. :)

• It depends on the county, and or state where you live. A $50 adoption fee or more is not unusual because it includes spaying/neutering, defleaing, worming and many times a micro ship. The price is very reasonable because if you paid for this separately it would cost quite a bit more. I have had excellent results when adopting from shelters. But you must understand that this cat will be frightened for a week or two before it adjusts to a real home so never get discouraged.

• the most expensive for a cat is probably $100, but for kittens they're more expensive since they are younger and the cheapest for a cat is $50-$70.i adopted mine from a really good breeder and she STILL had social problems, but i have made her adapt to become social (which took a couple months). although in shelters cats are more social because they are with other cats and have most likely experienced being held by different people. so I definately think they are more socalized. the healthy part i'm not so sure of because they were stray at some point so if you get one from a local shelter you really want to take it to the vet for it's health. (a friend of mine adopted a cat from the shelter and 2 days later it died from disease in the shelter so you NEED to go to the vets if you get one.) hope i helped, good luck :)

• Most humane societies charge around $85 for a cat. This is to cover shots, being spayed/neutered, and any other medical expenses. Therefore it could change the price by the condition of the cat, its medical fee's from the past. It also depends on the shelter you are adopting from, but it still shouldn't be too much more then that. Cats from a shelter are a blessing, but they aren't for everyone. Some have special needs and need your help more then others. You will most likely have the same results with and adopted kitty as with any other animal, except adopting would be saving an innocent life. Good luck and I hope you find yourself a nice companian(:

• its usually around $50-$100 and its well worth it. That is for a cat that is neutered, treated for worms, has its shots and you also can take it to a vet for free just to make sure nothing is wrong with it, if there is you can take the cat back. it might sound like a lot of $$ but get a kitten or cat any where else and you will need a doctor visit, shots, neutering etc and can cost you more than that and anything you pay for the pet goes straight to a good cause they don't make money taking in stray animals and taking care of them all so you're helping them out a lot! Do not go to a pet store that's just wrong in every way imaginable, the animals there have no guarantee and I've had friends that come back telling horror stories of how their pet died from something that could have been prevented if the pet store hadn't been so $$ hungry. Breeders CAN be better but -anybody- can be breeder. I can go pick up my mom's siamese cat and a stray white cat and voila! siamese kittens for $50 each. It doesn't mean they won't come w/ severe health problems or that I'm even caring for the animals correctly. Cats you get from shelters are much more socialized since they are around other animals and several volunteers who can help you pick out the right pet for you since they already know the animals personalities. When you get home they're usually skittish for a week or 2 but who isn't in a new environment? Keep in mind most cats that are in shelters were once pets in a healthy happy home but owner may have died, they could have gotten lost or financial situations led them to be dropped off there so they are perfectly healthy happy animals just dumped off and they don't know why. Surprisingly a lot of cats are dumped b/c the family is having a baby and the owners were told cats are bad for babies. I hate that! I've adopted at least 6 cats and one dog from the humane society and only one became sick but was no fault of the shelter, some cats like ppl just develop hereditary problems that can't be predicted. At least I gave that one cat 2 yrs of knowing what it was like to be loved and cared for in a real home not in a cage to be put to sleep later. You'd be doing the same like I've done for all the other animals I've adopted, the 5 cats all lived long healthy lives for over 10 yrs the dog is currently 16 and totally worth everything.

• Pet stores......not good places. It's far better to get them from the shelter or animal control.They also are neutered/spayed before going home to you which saves on a lot of the cost. Our shelter charges $75 for a cat, the second one (with their buddy system) is free. Our animal control, who also adopts out, charged me $75 for the lilac point 1 year old Siamese I picked, and $12 for the gray longhair 6 year old adult I also wanted. This included all their shots, neuter/spay, plus meds for the upper respiratory the Siamese had. And a can of Purina A/D in case I had to syringe feed her (I did have to, for 5 days). The upper resiratory wasn't her fault, I am familiar with treating it, so it wasn't a problem. They had plenty of healthy cats there. Many purebreds too (Persian, a Ragdoll, at least 5 Siamese and one Maine coon). Both were very socialized to people. The two we'd gotten from the shelter in the past--only one was socialized, but all of them were wonderful cats. Our animal control has currently got over 60 kittens...it's truly sad that they have to put so many down, but people forget that you can adopt there as well as at the shelter.