How do I get my puppy to go to the bathroom outside?

I have a 20 week old puppy who is trained to go outside, but chooses to go on the rugs. We always leave the back door open and he can use the dog door. It's really starting to irritate me!

I have a 20 week old puppy who is trained to go outside, but chooses to go on the rugs. We always leave the back door open and he can use the dog door. It's really starting to irritate me! ...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my puppy to go to the bathroom outside?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my puppy to go to the bathroom outside?

How do I get my puppy to go to the bathroom outside? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 20 week old puppy who is trained to go outside, but chooses to go on the rugs. We always leave the back door open and he can use the dog door. It's really starting to irritate me!

How do I get my puppy to go to the bathroom outside? Other Pet Discussions
    • I had the same problem wit my puppy. I went out and got those training mats u usually can get them at any pet store. I put them by all the rugs and he started using those. Then after awhile i started to put the mats outside and then i stopped using the mats and he started doing his business outside.

• Well I just put newspapers beside the backroom door, idk why, but my pup 4yrs ago automatically did his bizz on them. Eventually he went out side as the door was always open. You can try punishing them by trying such methods as crating your pet. Either that or you could yell at them or just when hes about to do it, try carrying him out of the door quickly, then onces he done, praise him/her. This method can be a little messy thought. :)Good luck

• You need to work on potty training again if he's still going in the house. Keep him with your at all times so you can take him outside if he starts to show signs he needs to go. You can put him on a leash and tie the leash to your belt to do this. The instant he shows signs he needs to go, take him outside to where you want him to relieve himself, encourage him to go and then praise him immediately after. If you can't keep him with you, put him in an area blocked by a puppy gate so he can't roam the house.Either way you need to get your puppy on a schedule. Take him out immediately after eating, playing and sleeping. Pick other designated times to take him out but make sure its at least every hour or so. The key is going to be a consistent schedule, taking him the same place every time and rewarding him for doing the right thing.