What is the best way to train you dog without much hassle and how?

I gave up after about 3 months. She is a fat lazy dog and won't do anything for anything. She's a Lab mixed with a Chow so she has the temper of a Chow but the teeth and largness of a Lab. And she really will break your skin if you try to do the wrong…

I gave up after about 3 months. She is a fat lazy dog and won't do anything for anything. She's a Lab mixed with a Chow so she has the temper of a Chow but the teeth and largness of a Lab. And she really will break your skin if you try to do the wrong…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to train you dog without much hassle and how?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best way to train you dog without much hassle and how?

What is the best way to train you dog without much hassle and how? Other Pet Discussions
      I gave up after about 3 months. She is a fat lazy dog and won't do anything for anything. She's a Lab mixed with a Chow so she has the temper of a Chow but the teeth and largness of a Lab. And she really will break your skin if you try to do the wrong thing to her. What should I do and how?

What is the best way to train you dog without much hassle and how? Other Pet Discussions
    • personally i would get rid of the dog. its probley to late now. but if you decide to get another puppy then basically all you need is 100% time to give it and lots and lots of patients... good luck

• Step 1. Get a choke collar.Step 2. Let's start with the heel command... you say her name then heel, i.e. "Fido, heel"IMPORTANT: TELL HER, DON'T ASK HER, you must sound intimidatingStep 3. If she doesn't walk, drag her, the choke collar comes into play and helps here.Step 3.5: If she bites, slap her snout. HARD. Again, intimidation is big in this part.Step 4. Repeat until she has it down, EVERY TIME YOU TELL HER,.Step 5. Repeat with Sit, Stay, Come, etc. NOTE: ONLY ONE STEP AT A TIME, NEVER MORE THAN ONE COMMAND BEING LEARNED AT A TIME

• If your dog is fat and lazy, you must not be. You have to establish who is boss. Put a leash on her, and take her for long walks. Do not ask her if she wants a walk. You decide where to go. Do not let her decide. You decide when she can sniff. The walk should be at least 45 minutes long. You are the pack leader. She must follow. It will not be a hassle, but you have to stick with it.

• When training any animal, it takes time an effort. Some animals are easier to train than others, but it doesn't mean your dog is beyond training. I would continue to train her, don't let her push you around, you show her who is the dominant one. With dogs, there is a special ranking that is instinctive, she feels that she is the alpha dog, while you are beneath her. When she is being disobediant, or if she shows signs of aggresion, don't be afraid to lightly discipline her, show her that YOU are the alpha male! Just like i previously mentioned, some dogs are easier to discipline than others. Some will easily yield to your authority, while others will continue to "argue" with you. I also recommend you watch the "Dog wisperer," he has pleanty of useful advice as how to deal with disagreeable dogs.

• Buffy the Slayer is the closest to the right answer. And, PLEASE, whatever you do, DON'T follow Slowesttooth's answer. Confrontational methods like yanking with a chain collar and hitting will make the situation much worse. Yes, you must be the leader, but you must do it in a way that allows your dog to trust and respect you. Being threatening and aggressive toward your dog will cause her to fight back even more. The first step is what is called The No Free Lunch program. Whatever your dog wants, or you decide to give to her even if she doesn't ask for it, she MUST do something for you. Performing a sit is the usual. If she won't repond to the "sit" command, she can be taught in a non-confrontational way. Gain her trust by giving her treats (at a time she is not misbehaving, of course), but not asking anything of her. After a week or so, show her a treat, then put it in your fist. Hold your fist in front of her, then move your fist up over her head. As her head goes up and back, her hindquarters will sink into a sit. As soon as she sits, praise her (verbally) and give her the treat. Continue this program for the rest of her life. Also, ALL members of your family who interact with her at all must also follow this. She has been allowed to be the leader of your household, which has caused her to feel very unsettled and insecure. No domesticated dog wants to be the leader, but it says "Hey, if you won't, then I guess I will have to be the leader" If she is too aggressive (tries to bite your hand to get the treat), I would recommend Cesar Milan. When you go for walks, use a head collar (Gentle Leader, Halti, or New Trix) or the Easy Walk harness. If she pulls on-leash (as I suspect she does) start out by just standing still until she calms down and allows the leash to have slack in it. (Even if it takes several minutes! Always be firm but fair! Be a benevolent leader.) Then take 1 step forward (or however many steps before she pulls on the leash again). Immediately stop and stand there until she stops pulling. Soon she will realize that neither of you are going anywhere unless she is walking on a loose leash.Good luck!Veterinary technician and Pet behavior consultant

• Buffy's answer seems so right. My pets walker and I must, at times drag him. He always tries us. He will sit in the middle of the road and refuse to budge. However, I do let him choose, to a certain extent, the way most of the time. Some of the times, I do have to pull on him to go in the direction I want. He is getting better each time that I let him know who is boss, That is so hard when he looks at me and says "but mom."

• Take her to a class. Read Pat Miller's book - The Power of Positive Dog Training. Or the Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training. Choke collars are out. Do an Internet search for clicker training and rewards based training.Stop calling your dog fat and lazy.

• The Basics SIT, COME, DOWN, STAY, HEEL. SITHolding a treat in your left hand just above the pup's nose, gently rest your right hand on pup's rump.Slowly move the treat in an upward motion while applying gentle pressure to the rump. ( you dont want to push hard because if you do the dog will sit every time someone touches him and this is not good for competitive obedience)as soon as pup sits say in a very happy excited tone "GOOD SIT" and give the treat.Repeat excersize 7x. then take a play break and move on to something elce.very young pups should not train for more than a half hour each dayevery time you put food bowl down or give a treat give the sit command, and wait for the sit. then once pup sits give treat or food down.DO NOT move on to something new until pup has the new command down pat. COMEwalk away from pup about 10 feet to start. say pup's name and "COME" in a happy voice. once pup comes praise it lavishly have a bit of a play and give it a treat.Gradually increase the distance you walk away. and eventually once pup knows command only treat every 3rd come. tappering off until he comes every time with out treat using only praise.this will take a few days to learn if you practice every day. DOWNStart with pup in sit. move hand with the treat between the pup's front paws on the ground. Say "DOWN" in firm but not loud voice.pup might try and get treat without going down, dont let him have it until he downs. praise in happy voice "GOOD DOWN"repeat 7x STAYStart pup in down possition. say "STAY" in firm voice. walk to end of leash, backwards. if the pup moves say once only "AP" in a not pleased tone. go back do not say anything. put pup in down again repeat "STAY" walk backwards to end of leash.pup does NOT get praise or treat untill he stays for 30 seconds, then a minute, then 5 minutes. move times up each week. after he can do a 5 minute down/stay every time. move on to a sit/stay doing exactly what you did for down/stay.Once on leash sit and down/stays are reliable for 5 minutes each. drop the leash and walk away from your pup, your back to the pup. about 10 feet away. wait 5 min. recall your dog. with dog sitting in front of you once he reaches you. treat and praise. HEEL Please do NOT train with a choke collar. i recomend martin gayles. with dog on a short leash exactly beside you on your left side say "HEEL" if the dog starts to pull give a correction snap with leash on collar. and recomand "HEEL" the second your dog complies peaise with "GOOD HEEL" in happy voice. and continue to walk , correct, and praise for 30 minutes. Allways end training sessions on a positive note. Never get angery with your pup for not responding to a command. Praise lavishly every time pup responds to a command. NEVER hit your dog. NO reason is an acceptable reason for physicaly abusing your pup.

• my friends have a lab chow mix , both are stubborn breeds, u have to make sure u are the alpha of the pack and be constant with ur commands use the same words every time tell she responds and praise her a lot when she does what u ask. don't use treats all the time praise works better cause dogs just want to please us. and give her back the unconditional love she gives u.