How can i stop my dog from pulling so hard when i walk him?

I already bought him a harness and when i try to walk him he almost drags me! Also when i try to jog he constantly stops at every bush and i cant run!

I already bought him a harness and when i try to walk him he almost drags me! Also when i try to jog he constantly stops at every bush and i cant run!...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can i stop my dog from pulling so hard when i walk him?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can i stop my dog from pulling so hard when i walk him?

How can i stop my dog from pulling so hard when i walk him? Other Pet Discussions
      I already bought him a harness and when i try to walk him he almost drags me! Also when i try to jog he constantly stops at every bush and i cant run!

How can i stop my dog from pulling so hard when i walk him? Other Pet Discussions
    • one thing that has worked for me is start out with the dog on a short leash. i mean take up all the slack so they stay by your side and keep the leash tight

• I do the same as above but do not have alot of tension on the leash. also if the dog starts to pull I just stop and wait for it to stop or make it sit. also how you leave the house is a good start to, make sure when you walk out the door you go first not the dog.

• We used a choke collar on our lab. But be firm, but not crazy when correcting. Plus shorten his leash. I used short, quick snaps of the leash to correct him. After working with him for a month or so, I could let the leash out and he stayed right by my side.

• Harnesses were designed for dogs to pull. Unless the leash connects to the harness at the front of the harness, the dog will continue to pull. Many people are afraid to use regular collars, as they feel it will injure the dog. If you continually pull against the dog, this can be true. However, if you use a "pop" instead of a constant pull along with the command "HEAL" then you are doing a catch and release to tell the dog what you want. The dog can continue to pull against you all day if you just pull against him. When you use the "pop" with a command, it tells the dog what you want and gets its attention focused on you. As soon as the dog stops pulling and looks at you, you praise like crazy. The instant release allows the dog to understand that it only gets a correction when it pulls, and gets rewarded with praise and relief from pressure. This process will work with a harness that connects at the front if you wish to stay that routs. Get your dog into obedience training with your local kennel club. Local pet stores are usually a waste of time. If you stick with it, you'll be greatly rewarded. Good Luck. If you have a lot of questions, you can email me at [email protected].

• i train my dogs using a regular leash, but i keep it tight & short, i walk a few slow & short steps with him healed to me then have him sit then i give him a treat, then make those steps a little bit longer having him sit at the end, another treat. positive reward system.

• I alternate between short leash and slack leash and stop frequently to have a moment with mine where he jumps up and we hug.He still pulls though but it's manageable.When other dogs behind fences get him tugging, I walk between them. He can't pull that way.

• when your dog pulls turn an go the opposite way .. until he learns.. might have 2 jog by yourself or take a squirt water bottle with you and every time he stops 2 sniff a bush, give him a squirt an tug him away.