How to keep a cat from jumping on the counter?

My friend keeps using a water bottle to spray the cat, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

My friend keeps using a water bottle to spray the cat, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to keep a cat from jumping on the counter?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to keep a cat from jumping on the counter?

How to keep a cat from jumping on the counter? Other Pet Discussions
      My friend keeps using a water bottle to spray the cat, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

How to keep a cat from jumping on the counter? Other Pet Discussions
    • Put an open box nearby. Cats are addicted to boxes. You will find out that in no time, the cat will spend its time in the box instead of jumping on the counter.

• Well one; he can leave the cat in a different part of a house. (like if he lives in a house he can leave the car in the basement or if he lives in an apartment he can leave the cat in the bedroom. Two; he can tie the cat somewhere in his home. But honestly you really can't do anything about it. Cats like to jump over stuff. I have two cats & they always jump over my bed, furniture, & a lot of other stuff. It's pretty much how they are. Hope this helped a little.

• Punishment never works with cats, they are far to arrogant to EVER think anything they've done is wrong. All spraying the cat will do is make it fear you..they are smart enough to realize that the water is coming from you and I promise you they are on the counter/table/bookshelf/couch/bed when you aren't home. The ONLY thing i can suggest is to get a scat mat..its a cat training tool that lets off a high pitched sound when the cat steps on it, that the cat will hate. Otherwise your friend will just have to accept that this is part of life with a cat. Just wipe down the counter before you use it. Cats are gonna go where they want...the instant you aren't in the room they will be up there...they don't give a rats behind about pleasing anyone but themselves...its one of the ways they are very different from dogs. Honestly just tell your friend to get used to it.

• Get a plastic placemat and tape some double sided tape on to it. Cats hate the feel on anything sticky on their paws. They also don't like the smell/ taste of lemon balm or cinnimon.I'm surprised that the water bottle isn't working. Cats don't like water. You have to catch them in the act. Our cats hate the water bottle so much that all we have to do now is shake the water bottle at them.