How Can I Tell If My Goldfish Is Asleep?

My goldfish sometimes sits under plant and sits there, with it eyes open. Is it sleeping?

My goldfish sometimes sits under plant and sits there, with it eyes open. Is it sleeping?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How Can I Tell If My Goldfish Is Asleep?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How Can I Tell If My Goldfish Is Asleep?

How Can I Tell If My Goldfish Is Asleep? Other Pet Discussions
      My goldfish sometimes sits under plant and sits there, with it eyes open. Is it sleeping?

How Can I Tell If My Goldfish Is Asleep? Other Pet Discussions
    • 1. flush it down the toilet if it tries to come back up...it was alive2. stab it with a sewing needle..if its dead it wont move, if its alive it will be the first goldfish with a body piercing3. try those blue toilet freshners...if hes alive, he should come to the top quickly and if he's not...at least it won't smell

• Fish do sleep, they usually just hover in one spot at night, They usually only do this when it is dark out. Goldfish can't blink, so yes they sleep with their eyes open. If he is doing this during the day he may have just found a place he likes to hang out. Goldfish aren't always the most active fish.

• Hi Zoe, if he does this at night when the tank & room lights are out that is fine-he's sleeping but if he does it during the day there may be a problem with your water-check your ammonia & nitrite levels. If they're above zero you will need to dilute it with partial water changes using same temperature, treated water-you should be doing these regularly anyway if you are not already. The link below tells you about water testing, partial water changes & much more in great detail.

• yes,he is sleeping.they probably will always move their fins.if they aer at the bottom of the tank or hiding under something and not swimming away,then they are sleeping.it's hard to tell if they are sleeping or not because inlike people,fish dont have eyelids,so they cant close their eyes like we can.