How do I get my 8 month old lab to quit chewing on everything in the back yard?

We leave our lab outside in the back yard when we are at work. He chewed through the air conditioner wire. Then we put a fence around the air conditioner and he chewed a whole through the fence and then chewed through the wire again. After that he chewed…

We leave our lab outside in the back yard when we are at work. He chewed through the air conditioner wire. Then we put a fence around the air conditioner and he chewed a whole through the fence and then chewed through the wire again. After that he chewed…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my 8 month old lab to quit chewing on everything in the back yard?...

• How do I get my 8 month old lab to quit chewing on everything in the back yard?

How do I get my 8 month old lab to quit chewing on everything in the back yard? Other Pet Discussions
      We leave our lab outside in the back yard when we are at work. He chewed through the air conditioner wire. Then we put a fence around the air conditioner and he chewed a whole through the fence and then chewed through the wire again. After that he chewed through a wire on our grill. He has toys in the yard, but they don't keep his attention long.

How do I get my 8 month old lab to quit chewing on everything in the back yard? Other Pet Discussions
    • Make a kennel and/or a small inclosed fenced dogpen to keep him. 50 % of it is the new teeth and sharpen teeth and the other 50 % is he is acting out becuase he is alone, but when he gets older the teething will stop and just give him extra love until he feels secure.

• When you catch him chewing on something, smack his nose with a cardboard tube and tell him 'NO' at the same time.Never use you hand to punish, only to praise.I worked with my lab. Also, give him cardboard boxes he can tear up, he is teething. If you have old socks that don't wear anymore. Tie them together and give the to him. make a toy box for him and let him know they are his to play with.

• It would be safer for the dog (and for your yard) if you confined him to a specific place when you cannot be there to watch him. An outside kennel or a crate inside the house is ideal. Make sure he has plenty of things to occupy his attention while you are gone.He is a puppy and he is lonely and bored. He will chew for several reasons: 1) he is a puppy and puppies chew; 2) he is bored and chewing occupies him; 3) he has no people or other dogs to interact with.If you secure him somewhere, there is less of a chance he will harm himself. What if it were not the A/C wire, but something electrical? You would come home to find your puppy (who should not be left outside unattended) electrocuted and dead.Always err on the side of caution. It would be better for him to cry about being locked in a kennel that for him to harm himself by getting out of the yard or chewing up something that could hurt him.

• There are two major causes of destructive behaviour: boredom and separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a term used to describe the insecure behaviour of a dog who is too dependent on his owner and thus becomes destructive in his owner's absence. Separation anxiety is also common in dogs who have been abandoned or mistreatedToo many dogs are given up for adoption because of destructive behaviour, usually without any effort by their owners to change or improve their pet's behaviour. Accepting the responsibility of owning a dog means being prepared to deal with such situations. The suggestions listed below will help you and your dog get right back on the good behaviour "track": Have your dog spayed or neutered. Give your dog rigorous, tiring exercise before you leave your home. This will require more time and effort on your part, but it is necessary to help your dog. Make all home departures and arrivals uneventful. Avoid exciting your dog at these times. Most destructive behaviour occurs within the first and last half hours a dog is alone. This is due usually to anxiety brought on by the excitement that often surrounds this time. Plan a play session for your dog half an hour after you arrive home. Never reprimand unless you have caught your dog in the act of being destructive. Punishing your dog on your return for something done in your absence will serve only to increase its anxiety and confusion, and will hinder any progress you have already made. Purchase a crate for your dog to stay in while you are away from home or are unable to keep an eye on your dog (this is comparable to placing a toddler in a playpen). Line the crate with a blanket and provide a variety of safe and suitable chew toys for your dog. Never use the crate as a form of reprimand. Make the act of entering the crate enjoyable. This method is commonly referred to as "cage" or "crate training", and emulates a natural habit of dogs, which is to go into a den for a safe and secure place to rest. Once you feel your dog can be left on his own, you can practice leaving him alone for short periods of time. Allow your dog access only to certain areas of the house and, as with children, make sure breakables and dangerous items are well out of reach (also keep in mind that your dog may just prefer to stay in its "den"). You may wish to read The Toronto Humane Society Fact Sheet "Crate Training" for more information. Before leaving, switch on a radio tuned to a soft music/talk station. The sound of soft human voices and music has a calming effect on dogs. Consult a veterinarian about your dog's diet. Foods that are too high in protein and/or lack other necessary nutrients may have an effect on your dog's behaviour. Make use of the experience of others. Many excellent books are available. Most behavioural problems can be solved with the right amount of love, time and patience. Don't give up! The love and devotion your dog has for you will make it all worthwhile.