How can I get my cat to stop crapping outside the litter box?

I have a two year old cat, I clean her box every day. She will sometimes use it, but everytime I go and look at the wall besides the kitchen table, its everywhere. I tried moving the liter box back there, thinking maybe that was her favorite spot. She…

I have a two year old cat, I clean her box every day. She will sometimes use it, but everytime I go and look at the wall besides the kitchen table, its everywhere. I tried moving the liter box back there, thinking maybe that was her favorite spot. She…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my cat to stop crapping outside the litter box?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get my cat to stop crapping outside the litter box?

How can I get my cat to stop crapping outside the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a two year old cat, I clean her box every day. She will sometimes use it, but everytime I go and look at the wall besides the kitchen table, its everywhere. I tried moving the liter box back there, thinking maybe that was her favorite spot. She wouldnt go in the box but all over the floor. Then I tried spraying stuff that makes animals stay off furniture on the floor and that still didn't help. Please if you know anyway that can make her stop tell me. I am willing to try anything.

How can I get my cat to stop crapping outside the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • You should probably either try a different litter or buy an additional litter box, cats are very picky animals , if that doesn't work you should probably take the cat to the vet make sure theres nothing medically wrong.

• Really simple. Do NOT rub their face in it. All you have to do is wait for your cat to start scratching b4 she urinates or shites, and gently put her either outside or in her litter tray. she will get the hang of it after a few times. Never shout or hit them. Animals are like humans they respond better to kindness.

• First thing in trying to get your cat to go to the bathroom in its litter box is to make sure you take your cat and place it inside its litter box once a day, or when it goes into the wrong place and your cat will not go anywhere else but inside its litter box. But this is not going to just happen overnight, and you are also a major part in this training. you have to be extremely patient and calm. Never rub its face into the mess it made, for this will cause hatred and will eventually result in your cat being too afraid to even go to the bathroom, which can result in bad health. You should praise your cat when it goes into the correct place, and be gentle but FIRM when it goes into the wrong place. If this advice does not work, then I suggest you ask your Local veterinarian. Remember alot of this training depends on you just as much as the cat, and be very PATIENT!

• I had the same problem pretty much. He had his litter box in the bathroom but then decided to try a corner in the kitchen, so I bought another mat for underneath and another litter box and put it in the corner of the kitchen and he uses that as well. Maybe they just like an option of which place to use - or like people, use the one thats closest at the time of need.

• I use a hooded box for my cats. It saves messes. You have to wipe them out daily to keep the odor down. Make sure she does not have an UTI. Could be she smells other cats that may have gone there. Get a black light and look for stains. I would first rule out any health problems then look at behavior. Are any other animals bothering her or children. Cats will not use the litter box if they are harrassed.Good Luck!

• you know I have two friend who have the same problem tooit must be a cat thing as they just won;t change yep the litter boxes are clean buth they still want to go outside the box..... I think your just gonna have to put up with it

• I had the same problem with one of my cats a couple of years ago, so I called the vet and made an appointment. Turns out she had a track infection that needed to be treated with an antibiotic.Never know..It could be a medical problem! Just poop or pee too? Any other cats sharing?Good luck.

• Listen to horselover, they have the best advice. My kitty doesn't do that all the time, but sometimes she does. Her litter box is clean and she knows when I clean it because she comes to inspect, but this morning when I first woke up I was in the bathroom(her box is in the bathroom closet -that stays cracked for her) and there was a load of dirty clothes in the hall, I looked out and saw her smelling around and digging with her paws and I knew exactly what she was getting ready to do, so I moved her away. Then I saw her walk into the living room and eye my coat, so then I picked her up and put her in her litter box and she went. I don't know why she does that. It is not very often but if you watch your cat alot or have ever caught her in the act, you can tell when they want to go to the bathroom. It sucks when you aren't home , but you can do what you can while you are. I think she may have started to do it this morning because I was leaving for work. She knows when I leave and she doesn't like it. Or maybe because I hadn't fed her yet. I think she does it when she is bothered or sad. Good Luck. Positive Reinforcement is always better!

• When you describe that it's all over the wall and everywhere, I start wondering if you're trying to say the stool is loose and runny? I can't imagine it going "everywhere" like that if it was firm and solid stool. If that's the case, then she may have a health issue. If you're feeding her dry food, then this is even more likely. I'm a vet tech and more often than not, when we get owners experiencing the same issues you're describing it's due to Feline IBD. The good news is that it can usually be controlled by diet. Switching to canned food only might alleviate the problem. Many cats have sensitivities causing loose stools to food that contain grains and in particular: corn, wheat, soy, wheat gluten and some are also sensitive to oats, barley, and even rice. A great site to read on this subject which is written by a vet is www.catinfo.org. That vet also gives a list of "safe" foods if you look in the links on the right-hand side. A friend of mine had a cat that would poop all over her house for years and she eventually became very thin and sick. By switching to a canned food diet using good quality foods with animal protein and no grains, such as Wellness, Lick Your Chops & Merrick, her cat recovered. Now, she always goes in the litter box, has properly formed stools, and wait for this, she's almost 21. When she was 13 or 14, she looked like she was about to die. Today, she's beautiful and healthy and at that age, it's a miracle. If you haven't done so recently, also take her to the vet for a check up and have a fecal test done to ensure that there are no parasites or worms that could be causing the problem. If there are, they are easy to treat with medication. A couple of things you might also want to try are Feliway which is synthetic facial feline pheremones. You can buy it at most pet stores in either a spray or plug-in version. Humans can't smell it, but it often really helps cats to behave more appropriately. Also, you might want to try putting something under the box and in the areas where she normally defecates outside the box to help yourself with messy clean ups. For example, www.catpaper.com can be very helpful .. but it's not cheap. I've found that incontinence pads are the cheapest and easiest to use personally. Walgreens has a brand called "Disposable Under Pads". These are larger sheets that you can spread out and they are soft, but with a waterproof plastic area underneath so they make clean up easy. And you can throw them away when you're done. My cat was paralyzed in his rear legs for quite some time and he urinated on the floor or carpet as well as pooping outside the box. By spreading out these pads for him in various places as he began walking, he was able to use them easily sparing himself the embarassment of not making it to the box, and sparing us from the clean up. Good luck to you. I hope these suggestions help. I know it's frustrating and difficult. But it may well be something caused by a health issue and not a behavioural problem so please do get her checked out. It may all be resolved quickly if you do.

• Are you sure that the litter box is big enough for the kitty? Also it may be the litter, my cats only like the litter that is like little pebbles not the real sandy stuff, but in my case I have a 23 pound cat and she could not get all of her body in the box to do her business, she tried , she just couldn't do it, so I got another larger box, and she hits it every time, but please don't rub that baby's face in it.