What are some degrees that could get me an equine related job?

Hi!What are some degrees I could get that would get me to work with horses? (I am willing to work hard)Thanks in advance!

Hi!What are some degrees I could get that would get me to work with horses? (I am willing to work hard)Thanks in advance!...
    Other Pet Discussions : What are some degrees that could get me an equine related job?...

• What are some degrees that could get me an equine related job?

What are some degrees that could get me an equine related job? Other Pet Discussions
      Hi!What are some degrees I could get that would get me to work with horses? (I am willing to work hard)Thanks in advance!

What are some degrees that could get me an equine related job? Other Pet Discussions
    • kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• There are very few jobs in the Equestrian industry that come from a degree, aside from probably financial jobs. The bulk majority come from people with experience and connections. The whole industry is about who you know and how to get your name out there. You can have the fanciest degree out there, but if you don't have the experience and references to back it up, you have nothing.Our barn manager right now has an Associates Degree in finance but she was an assistant manager at a TB breeding farm, she was a working student for some top H/J trainers, she retrains OTTBs in her own time, and has shown successfully on the A hunter circuit when she was younger. She beat out a girl who had a Bachelor's Degree in Stable Management and English Equitation, but only had a few years of weekly riding lessons.If you can get a horsey related job now (Barn Aide, Instructor Assistant, Groom etc.) you have a better chance of moving up in the field. You have to meet people, go to clinics, go to shows, talk to people there and introduce yourself. This is the best way into the field. Try and find some trainers in your area and see if they are looking for help. You need to be willing to travel some too, if you can find a barn with a working student position that is like gold on any resume (as long this is a legit trainer with a proven show record and top horses). Most people I know in the industry have no degrees related to horses, they are usually in management, finance, biology, pre-vet. I have a friend who graduated with honors as an English Major and she now runs a big AQHA breeding and show barn. I started school working to get a Journalism degree, and changing my major a million times, I've decided to get my Associates in Veterinary Technology. I work and train in a nice barn, but I also have a part-time job as a Veterinary Assistant in a small animal clinic because my horsey job doesn't really pay the bills!

• It really depends on what you want to do- Biology if you want to be a Vet would be a good undergraduate degree to have. If you want to have your own farm, a business or management degree would be good as well. You can always minor in Equine Studies as well. The college I went to offered Equine Studies (either a BS, BA, or minor) and a lot of students double majored in Business or Biology and we also had an Equine Assisted Growth and Learning tract. I had a lot of friends that continued on to Vet School. I plan on going to a large university to get my masters in Animal Science with a concentration in nutrition. Getting a degree in Equine Studies gives you a wide variety of areas to choose from but then getting a masters in a more focused area within Equine field. Here is an example of a list of classes you'd see:Fundamentals of RidingIntro Show Ring Comp IIntro Show Ring Comp IIStable Management IStable Management IISchooling TechniquesTherapeutic RidingHorse Show Management & JudgingMethods of TeachingEquine NutritionFarrier ScienceEq Anat/Phys/FirstAidMethods of Teaching IIConformation & SelectionEquine Business ManagementEquine Health ManagementEquine Health & BreedingAnd then there are elective classes you have to choose from such as: Dressage, Combined Training, Beginning Training Methods, Show Jumping Practicum, Applied Schooling, Show Hunter Practicum, Training Theory, etc.I've had tons of friends that have opened up their own barns: boarding, schooling, rehab, etc. with just an Equine degree. Most have turned into professional riders/trainers, some have ended up as trainers at other college's Equine programs.