what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain?

My new rooster is a Longhorn and my established one is a Brama. Both are about equal in height, alto the Longhorn is heavier. I have the Longhorn in a large dog kennel now and the Brama seems interested. I do NOT want to have a knock down fight. Thank…

what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain?

My new rooster is a Longhorn and my established one is a Brama. Both are about equal in height, alto the Longhorn is heavier. I have the Longhorn in a large dog kennel now and the Brama seems interested. I do NOT want to have a knock down fight. Thank…...
    Other Pet Discussions : what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain?...

• what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain?

what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain? Other Pet Discussions
      My new rooster is a Longhorn and my established one is a Brama. Both are about equal in height, alto the Longhorn is heavier. I have the Longhorn in a large dog kennel now and the Brama seems interested. I do NOT want to have a knock down fight. Thank you.

what is the best way to introduce a new rooster into an established roosters domain? Other Pet Discussions
    • Sorry, but you CAN'T have two roosters living in the same area, ESPECIALLY if it has already been established as another rooster's domain. They just WON'T get along, and they WILL fight.I guess there could be SOME exceptions, but I highly doubt it, and, I wouldn't know of a way to introduce the new rooster.

• Unless the roosters are naturaly calm, you won't be able to introduce the new rooster successfully without a fight. Eventually they would work it out, but not without bloodshed. When you introduce that rooster you're competely ruining their pecking order. Roosters are very territorial and very unwelcoming of other roosters. It's best to keep them completely seperated, out of each others sight.

• Rooster fight, and unless you keep cutting the very tip of their bills off, there is not much you can do. This will prevent their beaks from grasping a feather. Another possibility is cutting their spurs off and quickly using a dehorning iron to stop the bleeding. This will hurt them, and it would be far better getting another cage for your rooster. If your new rooster has some hens of his own , once in a great while, they can get along. Sometimes roosters get along if they don't have any hens to fight for, but don't count on it. Another thing you should think about is how many hens you will have for each rooster. Hens can be killed by being spurred when the roosters breed them too much.The Brahma breed is a big gentle breed, while the leghorn is a smaller quick breed that can fly well enough to jump on top of your Brahma.You can also buy something called no peepers, which are little plastic goggles that go in front of their eyes, and are held in place by a little pin that goes right through their nose.You only need about 1 rooster for 8-12 hens. Any more, and you are feeding them for nothing.

• How big of an area do you have? Are they confined or do they have room to get out of each other's way. Roosters naturally will fight. When introducing new birds to a flock - generally speaking - I've found it easiest to wait until dusk. Put the new ones in as they're settling down for the night. There's *usually* far less fighting as in the morning they wake up and have all been together. I've used this with chickens as well as sheep and goats. HOWEVER - very important - they MUST have room. There will probably be a dominance squabble - the loser MUST be able to retreat. If they're in a 10X10 dog kennel he can't retreat and the other rooster may well kill him. Once they get dominance settled roosters *can* sometimes co-exist until it comes to the hens. Especially of those breeds. My brahma didn't get too excited about much. The leghorns were a lot of "blow and show" but weren't really up to a fight - when pressed they'd retreat. However, yours might be different. Be ready to intervene if needed.