How do I convince my parents to let me have a horse?

I love horses, I make role play sites with them... I know tons about them, but how do I get my parents to let me actually have one?

I love horses, I make role play sites with them... I know tons about them, but how do I get my parents to let me actually have one?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I convince my parents to let me have a horse?...

• How do I convince my parents to let me have a horse?

How do I convince my parents to let me have a horse? Other Pet Discussions
      I love horses, I make role play sites with them... I know tons about them, but how do I get my parents to let me actually have one?

How do I convince my parents to let me have a horse? Other Pet Discussions
    • buy a farmbuy a barnbuy a stablebuy haybuy a saddlebuy some fencebuy a horse trailerbuy horse medicinebuy a trainer with lessonsbuy a grooming brushthen I don't see what argument they could use for not getting you a horse!

• A horse is sooooo much money and sooooo much work. I know it sounds awesome right now. But you have your whole life for it. You have to be with the horse every morning every day you cannot just skip a day to go to the water park or whatever. I understand you just cant live without it lol but when you are all grown up and you pay $1,500 a year for that horse to be in a stable and more for it to be fed and pay for the horse and its doctor bills you will understand why you didnt have one when you were a kid.

• Make a deal with them...If you get straight A's in school for a year or something along those lines, then they have to "reward" you for your hard work and studying with a horse....Use your imagination...

• Well you should think first...Can you actually take care of it? Do you have a place where it can roam around and eat? You would also have to ride with it one or two times a week or so. Plus think of the cost of buying one, paying for it's food, paying for it's shelter and supplies. Can you take care of all this and continue on normally with your life?

• Having a horse means big bucks going out monthly for boarding, food, medicine, vets, etc. Horses are also a considerable responsibility for any involved horse owner, that cannot be committed to lightly. They aren't just things; they are creatures that ultimately become members of your family.BUT DON'T GIVE UP- if you are serious about being with horses, there are other things you can be involved with that cost less and that your parents are more likely to support. Attend some horse shows. Ask your parents for some riding lessons. They aren't cheap either, but they are far less than your own horse. Maybe if your parents see you riding, they will think of it themselves, if they have the means to make that happen.

• Question is can they afford one ? They are expensive to maintain --- just check it out with a vet who treats them --- a friend of mine had a 6,000 dollar vet bill when her horse got ill with some kind of virus! Fortunately for her she's single and has a very nice job and lives with her parents....

• Firstly, are you living in a house that is suitable and has space to keep horses? If so, then come up with a deal that both you and your parents agree on, and if u acheive it, they can get you one. U have to show your parents that you are responsible enough to be keeping a horse and that you will take good care of it, while also keeping up other activites such as school work, exams etc. The deal that usually works most is to say you will gain the grades your parents expect from you and to keep up the work. It depends on your parents and try and find something that you can work on to please them. Also show that you are responsible, think of the costs and how time consuming looking after such animals is. Show them that you are serious. Dont act like a child if they come up with something that you are not willing to do, because it would pull down your chances. Tell them that you will help pay for the goods for the horse. Do chores, get a job if you are old enough to. Make sure you will be able to get all the supplies that you need in your area. Do some reasearch. There is no point jumping into it and finding out that you have no access to anything around you. Good luck:)

• Do what I did when I was younger. My parents researched some nearby ranches/boarding facilities and asked if I could "rent" a horse for the summer. I was responsible for going every day to feed and clean the stall and showing up for my lessons. This maybe the only way you can show them you can handle the responsibility. By the end of the summer I was so over wanting a horse!!!

• Knowing "tons about a horse" isn't enough to actually have a horse. I have had a few in my life and they are a big responsibility. Not only are there going to be bills for feed and hay, you also have to consider shelter, grooming supplies, hoof care, vet bills, not to mention what proper riding equipment will cost. Horses need room to run, so fencing is also another big expense. They also need fresh clean water all the time, summer and winter. Spending time with your horse is also an essential part of having one, remember, that a horse is a herd animal and they depend on you to keep them safe just as they would if they were in a herd. Go with your parents to a reputable stable, not some fly-by-night place, and talk to some people there. They might be able to give your parents some more information on owning a horse and can give you some ideas on where to find a good horse that fits your riding capabilities. If you are a beginning rider, be very careful, I've had people try to sell me a horse that wasn't as well "TRAINED" as they said it was and the bad thing about that, is the people selling the horse don't really care. They are just trying to "unload" their problems on someone else without one thought to the consequences. Good Luck.

• show ur parents u can handle the responsibility~~~ if u have other pets take exquisite care of them. also try asking them if u can lease a horse instead. horses are a lot of money and responsibility but if u lease it isnt as expensive and allows u to enjoy it just as much

• Get an after school job. I did. At a nursery. My first horse cost me $100. and I made payments!I proved my responsibility by working to pay all of the bills, staying on the honor roll, and taking the best possible care of my horse. Get a job at local stables if you can to offset the board bill etc. Write down all of the pros and cons about your dream (be honest) and talk it over seriously with your parents. I bred that first horse and owned her son for 34 years.It can be done.

• You can either make a deal with them or go to your library and check out a lot of horse books so it looks like you really want one. I have horses, so this isn't a problem, but especially check out books on how to take care of them. And maybe buy a couple of riding lessons from someone that you know.

• I want one too. I'm also trying too. So far I'd say the best reasons I've come up with are: 1. Tell them you'll pay for most of the horse's expenses and pitch some money in the actual cost of a horse2. Rent a horse3. board a horse at a local stable4. can adopt a wild horse

• As others have said, a horse can be a very expensive pet. You have to be sure that you have the proper facilities for him/her including pasture and shelter. You have yearly vaccinations from the vet...not including any sudden emergencies that may require vet assistance. There is the basic trims from a farrier and shoes will cost extra. If you get into a specialized riding discipline you will need a more specific kind of shoe which is more expensive.Equipment can be pricey, even if buying it used...saddle, pad, bridle, bit, halter, blanket, etc. Not to mention what YOU need...boots, breeches, HELMET,etc!!Feeding the horse grain and hay. Some horses need supplements/vitamins which can be costly.Then there's bug spray and fly masks, show products, brushes and other grooming items.The list goes on and on.However, on a brighter note, I am NOT trying to discourage you. I got my first pony when I was seven and when it's in your blood, it won't leave! lolI think the best way is to prove yourself responsible. Offer to be part of the financial responsiblity. Ask to take riding lessons. Yes, they can be expensive, but you'll be that much MORE knowledgable when you do become an owner. Check into free leases at stables or if you have the means, look into a free lease horse...one that can live with you....or some people offer partial leases where the horse typically stays at a stable or at their house and you get certain days you can ride, etc. Try to get a part time job at a local stable helping to muck stalls or groom horses. Hands on experience is the best and tell your parents that the money you earn is to go toward a horse. Maybe the stable would let you work for lessons.I think you have many options out there and I think first and foremost you need to prove yourself to your parents. Not saying that YOU would do this, but a lot of times people want things and either don't follow through with them or they lose interest.Being tossed around isn't in the best interest of the horse and it certainly isn't fair either.Sincerely wishing you the best of luck.

• Get a job related to horses at a ranch, stable, equine vet, shoer, trainer, feed store, ... If you're not old enough to work, just go hang out at these kinds of places and help out.Rent some horses and take a family ride together. Most rental places will charge by the hour and will provide someone to lead the ride. This will show your parents that you enjoy horses.Lease a horse. This usually means at least a 6 month commitment. The owner will take care of the horses feed medicine and care depending on the lease arrangement. Sign up for horse lessons at your local stable, parks department, or summer camp. They will provide good gentle mounts to learn riding.Join a horse organization like Equestrian Trails Inc (www.etinational.com) or 4H club or riding club or even Scouts (like Venture crew or Explorer Posts that specialize in horses) or the club for your favorite breed (like the Appaloosa Horse Club). You don't have to own a horse to join any organization.Go to horse shows, rodeos, hunter/jumper competitions, etc. All of these will demonstrate your desire for horses and your commitment.Best of Luck