What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray?

My horse does not like to be sprayed with bug spray, and will not stand still for me to do it.

What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray?

My horse does not like to be sprayed with bug spray, and will not stand still for me to do it....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray?...

• What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray?

What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray? Other Pet Discussions
      My horse does not like to be sprayed with bug spray, and will not stand still for me to do it.

What is the best way to train a horse to stand while being sprayed with bug spray? Other Pet Discussions
    • Before doing anything, make sure the horse is comfortable and trusts you. Let the horse familiarize himself with the bottle. Let him eat a bucket full of grain while you spray him gently. Make sure he can see the spray, don't just let him get surprised by feeling it. Also, keep in mind, don't yank on his halter and lead rope. If he's not rearing or backing up, don't try to pull him forward. Just feel it out, make him comfortable. It takes time. good luck.

• Get an inexpensive spray bottle (the 99cent household ones) and fill it with *water* (fly spray gets expensive to train with it and the horse doesn't know the difference). Stand him in the corner of the stall...let him see/sniff the bottle. Shake it. Spray the air. Tell him whoa - try to keep him from moving. Keep spraying the air until he stands quietly...use your other hand on him touching his shoulder to reassure him. Praise him for even small amounts of progress. "accidently" spray in his direction so it lands on him then immediately back to a squirt in the air. Gradually spray more on him. Learn his "signals" to where you get just to the point of him wanting to move then back off before he does. Praise him for *doing* what you want. (forget what you know he's thinking about doing!) Be sure to do this on both sides. Start this when you have *plenty* of time...don't be in a hurry. It might take a few sessions but he needs to learn it won't hurt him. When you're spraying him if he starts kicking *stop* spraying...when he kicks again *then* give a swat and say NO!! - the timing is important because you are punishing for not standing still...not for being sprayed (if that makes sense!). If he throws his head, snorts, etc don't punish him for that - as long as he's standing still. He doesn't have to like it - but he does have to tolerate it.

• Some horses hate to be sprayed.Try getting one of those gallon weed sprayers that you pump up.Fill it with you spray and pump it up away from the horse.Next get the horse and someone to hold the horse for you.Show the horse the sprayer and work with him on standing with it near him. Move on and begin spraying him from the front ot the back. Do not try to be sneaky just do it. Have your handler correct him if he moves. Give him a sharp tug and stay WHOA or what ever you normally use. Go back and do what you are going to do.This may take a few days or a week or more but they will learn that you are not going to hurt them and it will be over quickly.The weed sprayer does not make as much noise as a bottle and works much faster as easier. We use them on our horses and it only takes about a minute to spray a horse. Much faster.

• first you might want to rub the sprayed on the horse and show the horse that it wont hurt it when the horse mores make it goes back in to it's previous spot in witch you starter and try to make it a daily routine before the horse can do Any thing else.

• What i do with the the horses at the farm i ride at who do not like to sprayed is this: i let the horse stiff the fly spray. Then i spray it on the chestnuts of the horse. If it still freaks out I spray some on my hand, and put it on the horse. If the horse warms up to it then good, if not just get a rag, spray the rag and rub it all over the horse. it takes longer but your horse won't spook, and he/she will be protected from flys.