What shots and other medical stuff do kittens need?

The kitten I am getting is neutered and has had the distemper (what is this anyway?) and rabies vaccines. He is tested for FIV and Fel V (What are both of these?). What other vaccines and other medical stuff will he need? How much do microchips cost?I…

The kitten I am getting is neutered and has had the distemper (what is this anyway?) and rabies vaccines. He is tested for FIV and Fel V (What are both of these?). What other vaccines and other medical stuff will he need? How much do microchips cost?I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What shots and other medical stuff do kittens need?...

• What shots and other medical stuff do kittens need?

What shots and other medical stuff do kittens need? Other Pet Discussions
      The kitten I am getting is neutered and has had the distemper (what is this anyway?) and rabies vaccines. He is tested for FIV and Fel V (What are both of these?). What other vaccines and other medical stuff will he need? How much do microchips cost?I want this cat to be indoor but my other cat is outdoor.

What shots and other medical stuff do kittens need? Other Pet Discussions
    • The "Feline distemper" vaccine (FVRCP - feline rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopenia) protects against a family of upper respiratory infections. It is not actually distemper, but is called that because it is included in the "core" vaccines for cats as the distemper/parvo vaccine is for dogs.FIV is feline immunodeficiency virus is analagous to HIV in humans. FeLV is feline leukemia. Both of these of highly contagious diseases that can be passed between cats that come into contact with each other and can decrease the efficiency of the immune system, leaving the cat susceptible to many diseases that other cats would be able to get over more easily.Core vaccines include Rabies and FVRCP. If your cat is allowed to go outside, FeLV, is also recommended.Kittens get a series of 3 FVRCP boosters about 3-4 weeks apart and get the rabies vaccine at 16 weeks old.Kittens will also need to be dewormed. A fecal test can be done to verify which dewormer should be given and that the parasites have been gotten rid of.Prices vary widely depending on where you live and which clinic you go to. i recently figured out for someone else that routine care - without the neuter or deworming medications cost me $320 for the first year of my cat - this includes the cost of the FIV/FeLV test.Exams were $30-40. Fecal tests were $20. Vaccines were $20 each.The microchip cost me $50 to have it implanted and about $20 to get it registerred with Pettrac

• FIV and FelV are two highly contagious diseases that cats can spread to each other Feline distemper is another serious disease that is often deadly. The kitten will also need to be neutered. This costs about $100 and up depending on your vet. If the kitten doesn't go outside, I would only get rabies and distemper annually or every 3 years depending on which version of the vaccine you choose. Vets can also do titer testing to determine immunity so that you don't over vaccinate your pet which can be harmful. I would be wary of microchips. There is a lot of debate about them. Many believe that they are linked to sarcomas (cancer) near the site of injection. Also, every shelter uses a different scanning device. If your cat doesn't have the matching microchip to the scanner of the vet or shelter it was brought to, it won't be detected anyway. To me it isn't worth the risk. I use a safety collar with an ID tag instead.