We took in a stray female cat - could she be pregnant?

I've looked at quite a few questions relating to stray pregnant cats, but they always have the detail that they see that her nipples have grown. I haven't noticed that in Calypso (Calley-Kitty) but she's rather large in the abdominal area and it's firm -…

I've looked at quite a few questions relating to stray pregnant cats, but they always have the detail that they see that her nipples have grown. I haven't noticed that in Calypso (Calley-Kitty) but she's rather large in the abdominal area and it's firm -…...
    Other Pet Discussions : We took in a stray female cat - could she be pregnant?...

• We took in a stray female cat - could she be pregnant?

We took in a stray female cat - could she be pregnant? Other Pet Discussions
      I've looked at quite a few questions relating to stray pregnant cats, but they always have the detail that they see that her nipples have grown. I haven't noticed that in Calypso (Calley-Kitty) but she's rather large in the abdominal area and it's firm - not like a rock, but still pretty firm. She's affectionate, which I heard was a sign. She's tiny everywhere else, though, and eats a little every hour and a half. She's got a cold and ear mites, we're taking her in to the vet in a few days. Could any of this mean she's pregnant? Also, she isn't threatened by our dogs when they get close, so I'm thinking that she might not be pregnant, but I'm not sure. I've had her about 2 days now and have finally convinced my family to keep her. (They might change their minds if she is!)What does everyone think? Worms might be a possibility, but I want to make sure. If you think it is worms, about how much money does it cost to fix that?I already have a date set up at the vet. We bought stuff for ear mites and stuff yesterday, but on the label it says it can't be used on sick cats, and since she has a cold, I don't think I can give it to her. I am just impatiant when it comes to my curiosity. I'm not an idiot - I know I can find these things out at the vet. I just want to know as soon as possible.

We took in a stray female cat - could she be pregnant? Other Pet Discussions
    • It could be worms it could be she is pregnant. Either way I am glad you are taking her to a vet. You are going to need to deworm her either way just to make sure. The vet will probably give you a pill to give her it usually cost around $20 depending on her weight. Then if she is pregnant and you and you family arent wanting the kittens there are other options you can consider. Remember to get her spayed as soon as possible.

• If she has worms it is inexpensive to treat and she will be very grateful. The vet will be able to tell you if she is pregnant or not. Also check her tummy for a really fine scar, she may already be fixed. The fact that she is not scared of the dogs just means she is comfortable, probably lived with dogs before. Good luck

• She very well could be pregnant, especially since she was a stray. As for her not being threatened by your dogs, she could have grown up around them, all my cats have and they have gotten used to them. One of my cats even rubs up against my dogs as if he e=wants to be pet by them! It sounds like she could be pregnant, but being used to dogs and being affectionate could just be her personality.Make sure you get her to the vet soon, ear mites are itchy and not very fun for Calypso, and neither is a cold.Sadly, it could be stomach ulcers, or tumors or something. Of course you would want to know know whether or not she is pregnant, but if nothing else you could ask the vet.If she is pregnant, you said your family might not let you keep her, just promise them that you'll find homes for all of the kittens.Good Luck with your kitty!!!

• well it sounds to me like she may be pregnant if shes only big in the stomach area. and as for not being threatened by the dogs she may have had a home once and been around them so doesnt consider them a threat. i would suggest taking her to the vet as soon as possible though he can give her something for worms as well as tell you if she is pregnant for sure. i hope all goes well if she is pregnant and you get to keep her

• Hope and pray its only worms-it is fairly cheap to treat-Drontal (a pill) is a dewormer given based on weight. Usually around 5-15 dollars. There isn't a 100% sure way for you to tell if she's pregnant until shes checked by the vet-if she is you can have the vet give her an abortion. If she's not spayed and she was out its more than likely she is pregnant. If she is she needs to eat high calorie food from now on until shes done nursing (kitten food is OK to give her) and don't take her away from her kittens until they are at least 8weeks old. If she goes into labor and shes having problems you can give her a little milk to aid the labor-she will need the calcium.good luck

• As for a cold i haven't dealt with nothing like that as for earmites i too had a stray she was a kitten at the time I just went to a local store and bought earmiite medication cost less than a visit to the vet sometimes it could take 2 applications.Earmites can spread from animal to animal so be careful if the animal is sharing sleeping space with another animal.You may want to check other animals ears such as cats and dogs.Also,on pregnancy check this link http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/cat-pregnancy-signs.html

• I know what you mean. This is exactly how our family's saving one stray beagle turned into saving one stray beagle and 8 half beagles...She may be expecting. Your vet can tell you if she's pregnant, and they'll know if she can be safely vaccinated and wormed if she is.It makes no sense to get rid of her just because she's pregnant. Your family can make a difference by homing the kittens in responsible homes and getting her spayed. Contact your local Humane Association for help homing the kittens.